Marvel Movie Discussion: The Eternals f/ Angelina Jolie, Kit Harrington UPDATE: PART 2 COMING?

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I liked this movie, but I think I have figured out why some don't.

This movie is a lot like Age of ultron in the sense while being a decent stand alone film, it is setting up a strong foundation to build future movies/projects on.

Typical marvel and I look forward to seeing it blossom, because you know what they are setting up for.
I agree however age of ultron wasn’t an origin story. I think that’s the biggest issue with this movie. With origin stories there has to be deeper explanations of the main characters involved. They didn’t do a good job of explaining shit..

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
This movie is a lot like Age of ultron in the sense
yep
another writer director that bit off more than they could chew...
one was past their prime
while the other tried to please everyone

Only reason Ultron payed off was because of better writers / directors that came in to the MCU.

No different than Dave Filoni salvation of G Lucas' last trilogy via Clone Wars and Rebels

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I agree however age of ultron wasn’t an origin story. I think that’s the biggest issue with this movie. With origin stories there has to be deeper explanations of the main characters involved. They didn’t do a good job of explaining shit..
this movie should never have been an origin story...

let characters' arcs define them.... origin stories then become illuminating stories later

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
this movie should never have been an origin story...

let characters' arcs define them.... origin stories then become illuminating stories later
So bro how would you have done it. See I think they should have told us more about the celestials. More about Eternals and Deviants. There’s was no why for anything. It’s like some eternals love humans; ok but why and how. Shit could have been dope…

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So bro how would you have done it. See I think they should have told us more about the celestials. More about Eternals and Deviants. There’s was no why for anything. It’s like some eternals love humans; ok but why and how. Shit could have been dope…

They did a thorough job of showing that.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
there it is...
either start with Celestials on a cosmic level

or start small, pick 1 character and build out this world from their pov
like make Sersi the full lead character
or bring in an established character from Wakanda Asgard etc as a point of entry....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
True true. I guess I was thinking a few tweaks here and there and the movie could have been good. It felt like it didn’t need a lot to make it good.

Every single improvement you recommended was accurate and given us a better product.

And honestly a couple tweaks and it would have been better.

Just because Marvel is trying to get "deeper" etc...

This isn't the result

Marvel has done "grown " before and better

Winter Soldier endgame Wandavision etc.

This WOULD have been a better series

But EASILY could have been a better film

It is an epic... they had the budget the cast

They should have thought more about making a good movie that would be epic.

Not making an epic a good movie.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Every single improvement you recommended was accurate and given us a better product.

And honestly a couple tweaks and it would have been better.

Just because Marvel is trying to get "deeper" etc...

This isn't the result

Marvel has done "grown " before and better

Winter Soldier endgame Wandavision etc.

This WOULD have been a better series

But EASILY could have been a better film

It is an epic... they had the budget the cast

They should have thought more about making a good movie that would be epic.

Not making an epic a good movie.
your examples are products of more experienced and better storytellers

Eternals feels like the MCU equivalent of a filler /setup episode

real talk- is it time for Feige to move on?

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
my argument is unchanged - they didn't show how or why...
proof would include the repeated dialogue / exposition in lue of actual scenes with interaction

It's not unchanged. Your changing your points randomly, which your free to do. I just can't follow you enough to converse is all.
I responded to someone saying the reason the eternals loved humans was unclear. You agreed with that.
Now you're saying it's stated too many times.

I could be wrong, if you feel like clarifying I'll read your response

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Feels like? It is. That's exactly what it is. That's what I disliked about the film. Feels like an episodic tv series for the pricing of a movie

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I thought it was a good movie. I'd say 6.5 to 7. Maybe even 7.5. I thought it was Better than Shang-Chi for sure and I didn't hate Shang-Chi, I just thought Awkwafina brought the movie down with her dreadful "acting." More on that in a minute.
I also thought the quality of actors/acting really showed on this one. Marvel always has a sidekick/comedic relief character in their movies and the guy with Kingo was it here. His acting was very good as opposed to Awkwafina. Think about it. The quality of the sidekick often elevates a Marvel movie from good to very good.
This movie didn't have any extended set pieces and that, I think, disappointed a lot of people. But the movie was always, and was billed as EXPOSITIONAL. So what were you expecting? It did its job and pretty damned good I thought.

It passed the watch test for me. That's when I look at my watch to see how long I've got to go. I didn't look at my watch once and I was looking forward to seeing more.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I let getting
Kicked off the page but what I did read was bananas….

they could have done that and people would be all over This movie

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I thought it was a good movie. I'd say 6.5 to 7. Maybe even 7.5. I thought it was Better than Shang-Chi for sure and I didn't hate Shang-Chi, I just thought Awkwafina brought the movie down with her dreadful "acting." More on that in a minute.
I also thought the quality of actors/acting really showed on this one. Marvel always has a sidekick/comedic relief character in their movies and the guy with Kingo was it here. His acting was very good as opposed to Awkwafina. Think about it. The quality of the sidekick often elevates a Marvel movie from good to very good.
This movie didn't have any extended set pieces and that, I think, disappointed a lot of people. But the movie was always, and was billed as EXPOSITIONAL. So what were you expecting? It did its job and pretty damned good I thought.

It passed the watch test for me. That's when I look at my watch to see how long I've got to go. I didn't look at my watch once and I was looking forward to seeing more.

Thank you for the shang chi observation

I thought that girl brought absolutely nothing to that movie

Nothing

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
there it is...
either start with Celestials on a cosmic level

or start small, pick 1 character and build out this world from their pov
like make Sersi the full lead character
or bring in an established character from Wakanda Asgard etc as a point of entry....
Boom!! You right fam!

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
It's not unchanged. Your changing your points randomly, which your free to do. I just can't follow you enough to converse is all.
I responded to someone saying the reason the eternals loved humans was unclear. You agreed with that.
Now you're saying it's stated too many times.

I could be wrong, if you feel like clarifying I'll read your response
Eternals' human love in this movie is like
everyone in any MCU movie (including Stark & Banner) saying in dialogue: Tony Stark / Bruce Banner are super smart

vs

how a story teller SHOWS it

.a more direct comparison

would be how movies like Highlander frames immortals and human relationships vs how Interview With a Vampire does it

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered

You know what, I've heard this a few times.

I mean, it's been over 15 years as president.

But here are some things people do not know and makes you think......

Kevin was named Chief Creative Officer in 2019. Think of all of the Marvel products that came after that and before that.

The Chief Creative Officer was Joe Quesada. He's responsible for the look of the MCU. He's now a VP.

Kevin should set up his successor so that he can leave on top.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You know what, I've heard this a few times.

I mean, it's been over 15 years as president.

But here are some things people do not know and makes you think......

Kevin was named Chief Creative Officer in 2019. Think of all of the Marvel products that came after that and before that.

The Chief Creative Officer was Joe Quesada. He's responsible for the look of the MCU. He's now a VP.

Kevin is good he don't need to go no where

that man been here since Avi ran sh*t.

And how we know he has NOT been setting up a successor already?

And right now its like a super Bowl winning GM having to retool his WHOLE team

No one predicted RIP Chadwick leaving us and then covid...

and look how they stabilized and recovered.

and even the Eternals?

made money and is trending on social media and right now being watched by those who saw it already and those who hate watching and the curious and those who did not want to risk the theater.

I have not seen anything yet to make me question him.

Feige aint fumble yet I'm riding with him till the wheels fall off

(but as my new financial advisor all my comments have nothing to do with future investments - I do what you say.)

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Eternals' human love in this movie is like
everyone in any MCU movie (including Stark & Banner) saying in dialogue: Tony Stark / Bruce Banner are super smart

vs

how a story teller SHOWS it

.a more direct comparison

would be how movies like Highlander frames immortals and human relationships vs how Interview With a Vampire does it

Vicious Da Creative >>>>>

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
How DARE you.
Feige and Russos had beef during Endgame

Marvel hasn't made a strong movie unless directed by Coogler Gunn Watitti or Russo

this recent batch was lazy (NoWay Home doesn't count)

Is it time for Feige to get hired by DC or Paramount?

Nothing
total waste of screen time
no that was Marvel Ent (Perlmutter & Loeb) not Marvel Studios... now he still has same title under Feige
I hope so... he seems stagnant

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Feige and Russos had beef during Endgame

Marvel hasn't made a strong movie unless directed by Coogler Gunn Watitti or Russo

this recent batch was lazy (NoWay Home doesn't count)

Is it time for Feige to get hired by DC or Paramount?
total waste of screen time
no that was Marvel Ent (Perlmutter & Loeb) not Marvel Studios... now he still has same title under Feige

I hope so... he seems stagnant

To all potential sponsors and guests?

all comments and statements made by Vicious aka Vicious Da Creative are his and his alone and are not necessarily shared by his co hosts or the production as a whole

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor

Nothing

Less than nothing, bro. She actually brought the movie down. Her and the sister's assistant. I thought the whole point was to avoid stereotypes.

But as far as Awkwafina, I just don't get it. She's weird and was totally unsuited for that part.

Marvel is usually spot-on with their casting but they missed big time on that one. To be fair, I'll have to watch the movie again but I really have no desire to. Ben Kingsley just going through the motions and a script that seemed thrown together from pieces cut from other movies. I dunno if I can take it again. And that's what I liked about The Eternals, they didn't sacrifice dialog for action pieces. You actually had to pay attention and the existential discussions weren't terrible.

Last edited: