shaddyvillethug

Cac Free Zone
BGOL Investor
Well, what we know from Martha Hart's investigation is the rigging crew WWE hired for that ppv used a cheap rigger/clip that was designed for sail boat masks and inadequate to hold the weight of a human body at that height. The guy supervising the stunt Bobby Talbert had no experience in rigging anyone. They didn't know what they were doing.

In WCW with Sting I have no idea what rigging crew they used. That information has not been made available to the public. Considering Sting is alive I guess they knew what they were doing.

And for Vince to continue the show after Owen's death was bullshit. That's now a crime scene. The show should've been stopped and immediately taped off by the police. Fans should've been refunded their money. Imagine the wrestlers that had to wrestle after that with Owen's blood fresh on the mat. Imagine JR and Lawler having to do commentary after something like that. The whole thing could have been prevented.
Does anybody have any footage?

I remember watching that ppv and wondered why they kept saying Owen harts name

smh Vince is the devil

mark Henry and several others was upset about how that night went.

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Aew isn’t even ECW in Dey prime.

I think it is. The AEW fanbase has the same energy as the ECW fanbase (hell a lot of the fanbase that made up ECW are AEW fans now) and the workrate/quality of the matches are on par with ECW if not better.

and nothing beats 1997-1996-1998 WCW

they had they best wrestling game of all time.

WCW had the best angle of all time in the nWo and had the popularity but in regard to workrate/wrestling they weren't the best. In regard to workrate AJPW (All Japan Pro Wrestling) was the king in the 90's with NJPW coming in second.

shaddyvillethug

Cac Free Zone
BGOL Investor
I think it is. The AEW fanbase has the same energy as the ECW fanbase (hell a lot of the fanbase that made up ECW are AEW fans now) and the workrate/quality of the matches are on par with ECW if not better.

WCW had the best angle of all time in the nWo and had the popularity but in regard to workrate/wrestling they weren't the best. In regard to workrate AJPW (All Japan Pro Wrestling) was the king in the 90's with NJPW coming in second.
NWO Wolfpack >>>>>> anything else

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They had all tiers of wrestlers.

sorry

And best theme

Outside of Sting/Hogan there were no memorable nWo matches. You can have all the tiers of wrestlers in the world but if you can't produce great wrestling matches it doesn't matter. They achieved it in angles/storyines but not in the actual wrestling/workrate.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well, what we know from Martha Hart's investigation is the rigging crew WWE hired for that ppv used a cheap rigger/clip that was designed for sail boat masks and inadequate to hold the weight of a human body at that height. The guy supervising the stunt Bobby Talbert had no experience in rigging anyone. They didn't know what they were doing.

In WCW with Sting I have no idea what rigging crew they used. That information has not been made available to the public. Considering Sting is alive I guess they knew what they were doing.

And for Vince to continue the show after Owen's death was bullshit. That's now a crime scene. The show should've been stopped and immediately taped off by the police. Fans should've been refunded their money. Imagine the wrestlers that had to wrestle after that with Owen's blood fresh on the mat. Imagine JR and Lawler having to do commentary after something like that. The whole thing could have been prevented.
I agree, that show should have been cancelled. Especially after finding out Owen had passed. No one even remembers any other match from that night and WWE obviously never put it out on VHS, DVD, WWE Network, etc.
Vince took that "The show must go on" mentality to the extreme that night.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
At this point Omega's heel run is kind of dead in the water. He's a corny, annoying heel who doesn't know how to generate legit heat where people are invested in him losing with his promos or in his matches outside of people interfering. May as well take the title off of him and then since they need to build Hangman Page back up have Page beat Omega in a feud as he gets reestablished. Then have Page win the title if he's going to win it soon. Him beating Omega probably won't mean much especially with all of these bigger wrestlers being around.

I don't think that it's the fake patriotism even though that was a stupid addition to try to sell the match with Agogo. It's the over the top nature of everything that he's involved in from his entrance to him having 25 people associated with him, to the random out of nowhere feuds and the weird ways that they go and the fresh out of theatre class promos that he feels the need to give.
Exactly. Cody just drops in like he's doing the wrestling world a favor and has these nonsensical feuds where a celebrity (Shaq, Rosario Dawson, etc.) is somehow involved. He has the match and then goes back to filming his game show or doing his reality TV show.
At this point, he just needs to take all that over-the-top acting to Hollywood and start making B-movies.

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree, that show should have been cancelled. Especially after finding out Owen had passed. No one even remembers any other match from that night and WWE obviously never put it out on VHS, DVD, WWE Network, etc.
Vince took that "The show must go on" mentality to the extreme that night.

Honestly, it shouldn't been Vince's call. The police should've shut that shit down.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I'm not a fan of Kenny Omega nor his wrestling. I never got the hype, don't buy his character and honestly think he's corny as fuck. He just doesn't do anything for me.

That said, his match against Bryan last night was dope. Probably the best match of the year.

AEW made the right call in having it end the way it did, you don't give a resolution of that type of match away for free. Crazy thing is, they're going to have to live up to this match in their rematch, which may be a hard thing to do.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yeah, I don't get the hate he gets. He has given a platform to cats that wouldn't EVER get over, has only had an ego when it comes to the industry and not his character. As far as The Elite is concerned I think he has the worst record. Sure his wife says some REALLY goofy shyt. How many good looking women aren't and say stupid shyt? You live a life of people never challenging shyt you say cause they want to fcuk you and see how brilliant you'd be (plus she's from Detroit MI so I am biased)

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not a fan of Kenny Omega nor his wrestling. I never got the hype, don't buy his character and honestly think he's corny as fuck. He just doesn't do anything for me.

That's perfectly fine. You like what you like. I feel the same way about Roman Reigns.

That said, his match against Bryan last night was dope. Probably the best match of the year.

It's in the top 10 but definitely not match of the year. If I had to rank the top 10 matches of the year thus far I would say ...

10. Thunder Rosa vs Britt Baker
(AEW Dynamite St. Patrick Day Slam)

9. Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito
(NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Day 1)

8. Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb
(NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Day 2)

7. Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay
(NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Day 1)

6. Bryan Danielson vs Kenny Omega
(AEW Dynamite Grand Slam)

5. Kota Ibushi vs Jay White
(NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15: Day 2)

4. Ilja Dragunov vs Walter
(NXT Takeover 36)

3. Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi
(NJPW New Japan Cup 2021: Day 13)

2. Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi
(NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2021: Day 2)

1. Lucha Brothers vs Young Bucks
(AEW All Out 2021)

Honorable mentions:

Rey Fénix vs Kenny Omega
(AEW Dynamite New Year's Smash: Night 1)

Money In The Bank Ladder match (8-Way)
(WWE Money In The Bank)

Kyle O'Reilly vs Adam Cole
(NXT Takeover 36)

Roman Reigns vs Daniel Bryan
(WWE Friday Night Smackdown)

AEW made the right call in having it end the way it did, you don't give a resolution of that type of match away for free. Crazy thing is, they're going to have to live up to this match in their rematch, which may be a hard thing to do.

It won't be hard at all. Give these two 60 minutes and you're going to see a five-star classic easy possibly 6 stars. One of the things that make Omega so great is he's a master at structuring matches.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cody's head is so far up his ass and he's so full of himself that he can't see the writing on the wall.
If he doesn't use this as an opportunity to turn heel, then I will know he truly doesn't get it and only cares about his Hollywood gigs.

Yeah if he keeps this up he’s going to hurt his brand……it’s disturbing that he doesn’t even see how a heel turn is not only beneficial to him but AEW.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah if he keeps this up he’s going to hurt his brand……it’s disturbing that he doesn’t even see how a heel turn is not only beneficial to him but AEW.

Cody been in the business too long not to see the writing on the wall. The best heels are the ones who think they are good guys. He can make a few minor tweaks and be one the best heels in the business.

chemist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And to add to that I like how on commentary in AEW Excalibur honors the names of moves made famous by certain wrestlers regardless if they worked in AEW or not. Instead of a sit out power bomb Excalibur will refer to it as a Liger bomb made famous by Jushin "Thunder" Liger. When Eddie Kingston does those machine gun chops in the corner Excalibur will remind people that those are Kenta Kobashi chops. When Penelope Ford does her back bridging headlock Excalibur calls it the Muta lock in honor of The Great Muta. Asuka does that same move in WWE but they call it the Asuka lock. The Fujiwara armbar is another one made famous by Yoshiaki Fujiwara. In WWE you rarely see them refer to a move made popular by a particular wrestler unless they wrestled in WWE at some point. Just another example of that isolationist mentality.

Lol. Excalibur said Cody Cutter last night. DDP must be on bad terms with them now. Haven't seen him on AEW in a while.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
Registered

I thought they were supposed to be removing this commercial are reviewing it. I never saw it until after Dark Side of the ring episode. Now its all I see.