MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Borderlands

This should have gone straight to streaming

Everything about this movie was bad, bad script, bad jokes, bad dialogue, bad action, bad CGI

This is giving Tyler Perry's bullshit a run for worst movie I've seen this year.

Jack Black was the most annoying person, character, ummmmm thing I've ever seen in a movie

Kevin Hart needs to be more selective, and Jamie Lee Curtis and Cate Blanchett...how much did they pay you?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Had a movie night with my pops and cousin last night, and checked out the movie The Instigators. It was my suggestion as it would probably appeal to us as viewers in the mid-40s to late-70s range.

It was actually better than expected.

A reasonable mix of action & comedy.

Plenty of notable names and faces in the cast.

Also, it didn't overstay its welcome at a brisk 1 hour, 40 mins.

Really good use of the 1960s song "Downtown" in one scene too ... we cranked up the volume when that song came on as it was an unexpected surprise used very effectively.

The Instigators is a 2024 American heist comedy film directed by Doug Liman and written by Chuck Maclean and Casey Affleck. The film stars Affleck and Matt Damon, with a supporting cast that includes Hong Chau, Michael Stuhlbarg, Paul Walter Hauser, Ving Rhames, Alfred Molina, Toby Jones, Jack Harlow, and Ron Perlman. It was produced by Affleck and Damon alongside Ben Affleck under their production company Artists Equity for distribution by Apple TV+ under Apple Original Films.

The Instigators was given a limited theatrical release in the United States on August 2, 2024, before making its streaming debut on Apple TV+ on August 9, 2024.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

July 31, 2024​

The 8 Sci-Fi Movies Of 1982 That Changed Everything

In 1982, eight science fiction films were released within eight weeks of each other: E.T., Tron, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, Conan the Barbarian, Blade Runner, Poltergeist, The Thing, and Mad Max: The Road Warrior. Entertainment writer Chris Nashawaty talks to Tonya Mosley about how those movies shaped the genre and the movie industry. His book is The Future Was Now.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cuckoo

Madness !!

PRAISE: I like when I'm watching a movie and about 10 to 15 minutes in I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Presented with the character Gretchen, who's slightly off balance due to some past trauma but functioning is at a setting which seems normal but slowly but surely reveals it's the complete opposite. I think this is always a good path to take in movies with a plot like this. Am I going mad or is everyone else playing a sinister role in everything that's happening? Hunter Schafer does really good here turning in a believable performance. Dan Stevens is really great luring not only the characters in but the viewer as well. It's one of those roles Anthony Hopkins,Malcolm McDowell and Christoph Waltz would have been great as. Writer-director Tilman Singer does some great work here in several stand out scenes especially when light and darkness are played with and the terrifying closeness of something or someone sinister.

PROBLEMS: I had hoped the pace and scary tones of some scenes that are only spread out had been maintained Instead they make things more complicated than they need to be trying to explain away everything.Parts of the climax felt uninspired and really basic maybe even a bit generic.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

BORDERLANDS

Brief bliss then boredom

PRAISE: I played the video game on which this movie is based about four years ago. Still following the story thread of finding The Vault a ragtag team attempts to do so. I did like how colorfully jumbled and fun the movie was at times. I did laugh at some of the antics of the characters. It was cool to see Janina Gavankar on the big screen because I haven't seen her in anything since Big Sky. The talents of some of the cast including Cate Blanchett,Kevin Hart,and Jack Black shine through the hurdles of the plot here and there.

PROBLEMS: This movie has been sitting on a shelf for years and it shows. Some scenes reminded me of all the bad parts of Escape from L.A. The movies turns are ultra predictable with huge inconsistent moments. The movie tries to be a raunchier version of Guardians of the Galaxy with cleavage displays and toilet humor. While watching the last 30 minutes of the movie play out anything good I was watching was just spotty with a cool SFX here and a funny moment there but I just found myself looking at my watch saying 90 minutes haven't passed yet ?!?

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

76323e01663044bea9016513c4d4661d_md.jpg

8a5f98de68e142b19f5e36ae257c01c6_md.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Cuckoo

Madness !!

PRAISE: I like when I'm watching a movie and about 10 to 15 minutes in I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Presented with the character Gretchen, who's slightly off balance due to some past trauma but functioning is at a setting which seems normal but slowly but surely reveals it's the complete opposite. I think this is always a good path to take in movies with a plot like this. Am I going mad or is everyone else playing a sinister role in everything that's happening? Hunter Schafer does really good here turning in a believable performance. Dan Stevens is really great luring not only the characters in but the viewer as well. It's one of those roles Anthony Hopkins,Malcolm McDowell and Christoph Waltz would have been great as. Writer-director Tilman Singer does some great work here in several stand out scenes especially when light and darkness are played with and the terrifying closeness of something or someone sinister.

PROBLEMS: I had hoped the pace and scary tones of some scenes that are only spread out had been maintained Instead they make things more complicated than they need to be trying to explain away everything.Parts of the climax felt uninspired and really basic maybe even a bit generic.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Hunter Schafer's 'Cuckoo' serves up Alpine horror​

August 12, 2024 3:00 AM ET

16-Minute Listen

Hunter Schafer in Cuckoo.
Felix Dickinson/Neon

In the new, stylishly odd horror film Cuckoo, Hunter Schafer plays an American teenager who reluctantly moves with her family to a mysterious resort in the German Alps. Her rebellious spirit clashes with the resort's creepy proprietor, played by Dan Stevens. When weird stuff starts happening, long-buried family secrets come to light and the resort's true nature stands revealed.

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Had a movie night with my pops and cousin last night, and checked out the movie The Instigators. It was my suggestion as it would probably appeal to us as viewers in the mid-40s to late-70s range.

It was actually better than expected.

A reasonable mix of action & comedy.

Plenty of notable names and faces in the cast.

Also, it didn't overstay its welcome at a brisk 1 hour, 40 mins.

Really good use of the 1960s song "Downtown" in one scene too ... we cranked up the volume when that song came on as it was an unexpected surprise used very effectively.

The Instigators is a 2024 American heist comedy film directed by Doug Liman and written by Chuck Maclean and Casey Affleck. The film stars Affleck and Matt Damon, with a supporting cast that includes Hong Chau, Michael Stuhlbarg, Paul Walter Hauser, Ving Rhames, Alfred Molina, Toby Jones, Jack Harlow, and Ron Perlman. It was produced by Affleck and Damon alongside Ben Affleck under their production company Artists Equity for distribution by Apple TV+ under Apple Original Films.

The Instigators was given a limited theatrical release in the United States on August 2, 2024, before making its streaming debut on Apple TV+ on August 9, 2024.

I tried this on Saturday but it wasn't catching my interest

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
I've been glued to the tv for the last 10 days watching the Olympics and Oriole Baseball. somewhere along the line, I stumbled on this war movie on Netflix. About a "peacekeeping mission". It was pretty good once you get by the politics of the Congo. BTW, the Irish troops were chosen because Ireland had never been a colonizer. A lot of action and its based on a true story

"The Siege of Jadotville is a 2016 action-war film directed by Richie Smyth and written by Kevin Brodbin. An Irish-South African production, the film is based on Declan Power's book, The Siege at Jadotville: The Irish Army's Forgotten Battle, about an Irish Army unit's role in the titular Siege of Jadotville during the United Nations Operation in the Congo in September 1961, part of the Congo Crisis that stretched from 1960 to 1965. " Wikipedia

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
As happens, Netflix popped up another war movie and I got into it real fast. "Land of Bad" is major league action, with a very modern twist, Russell Crowe is a drone operator based in Vegas, who is following a special ops team in the Phillipines who run into some major shit. The flick held my interest until the number of baddies getting popped started to remind me of a video game.

"A US Army special forces unit is ambushed during a mission to retrieve an intelligence asset and their only remaining hope lies with a remote Air Force drone operator assisting them through a brutal 48-hour battle for survival." Land of Bad is a 2024 American war film directed by William Eubank, who co-wrote the script with David Frigerio. The film stars Liam Hemsworth, Russell Crowe, Luke Hemsworth, Ricky Whittle, and Milo Ventimiglia. Land of Bad was released theatrically on February 16, 2024. Wikipedia

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
As happens, Netflix popped up another war movie and I got into it real fast. "Land of Bad" is major league action, with a very modern twist, Russell Crowe is a drone operator based in Vegas, who is following a special ops team in the Phillipines who run into some major shit. The flick held my interest until the number of baddies getting popped started to remind me of a video game.

"A US Army special forces unit is ambushed during a mission to retrieve an intelligence asset and their only remaining hope lies with a remote Air Force drone operator assisting them through a brutal 48-hour battle for survival." Land of Bad is a 2024 American war film directed by William Eubank, who co-wrote the script with David Frigerio. The film stars Liam Hemsworth, Russell Crowe, Luke Hemsworth, Ricky Whittle, and Milo Ventimiglia. Land of Bad was released theatrically on February 16, 2024. Wikipedia

I have heard really good things.