MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Watched Thelma yesterday, and actually quite enjoyed it, as I hoped I would.

The story is straight-forward, and although not a LOL funny movie, it is amusing and will bring a smile to your face in a few instances. Especially knowing of our interactions with parents, grandparents, relatives and so on. And of course the looming threat of scams in today's digital world.

Enjoyed the cast and seeing the different types of interactions. Also ... the interactions with Squibb and Roundtree. That mix of wanting to maintain one's independence, but also the harsh reality of recognizing the limitations in yourself & your immediate peers.

My fave running joke in the movie was the one with her striking up conversations with strangers in the street. "Don't I know you from somewhere?" and in the final 1/4 of the movie the scene with her clicking on the "X" boxes on screen to close out pop-up ads for insurance, joining a gym, lol. We've all been there with ads and spam, haha.

There's a scene near the end of the movie which is pleasant and lasts for only 30 seconds or so ... and during the end credits the director cuts to actual footage of him and his grandma in the car (he's off camera) and it's word for word the scene that was played out near the end of the movie. Really enjoyed that.

Thelma is a 2024 American comedy-drama film written, directed and edited by Josh Margolin. The film stars June Squibb, Fred Hechinger, Richard Roundtree, Clark Gregg, Parker Posey, and Malcolm McDowell.[4]

Thelma premiered at the 2024 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2024, and was released in the United States by Magnolia Pictures on June 21, 2024.

Plot​

93-year-old Thelma Post lives alone in Los Angeles. Her aimless but loving grandson Daniel "Danny" Markowitz often visits and looks after her needs despite not taking responsibility for his own life. Although Thelma is close with Danny, she finds his constant assistance patronizing.

A phone scammer calls Thelma posing as Danny, claiming he has been arrested ...

Definitely wanted to see this one! Thanks for the thumbs up review!

Is it streaming free somewhere?

Or available now somewhere on BgolCinemas? lol

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Definitely wanted to see this one! Thanks for the thumbs up review!

Is it streaming free somewhere?

Or available now somewhere on BgolCinemas? lol

Not sure which streaming platform it's on now. Should be available on many streaming sites though ... you're welcome for the review.

While watching it I was thinking about my late grandma and a number of her friends. Grandma passed in 2008 and never owned a computer, or got taken by a phone scammer. I'm just glad my parents and older relatives in their 70s and 80s are all hyper aware of scammers & phishing / hacking attempts, etc. They're all on the ball so far, but unfortunately so many older people fall victim.

Thelma premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2024. It was released theatrically in the United States by Magnolia Pictures on June 21, 2024.[5][6] It released in the United Kingdom on July 19, 2024.[1]

This is Roundtree's final feature film, having been released after his death in 2023.[7]

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
Not sure which streaming platform it's on now. Should be available on many streaming sites though ... you're welcome for the review.

While watching it I was thinking about my late grandma and a number of her friends. Grandma passed in 2008 and never owned a computer, or got taken by a phone scammer. I'm just glad my parents and older relatives in their 70s and 80s are all hyper aware of scammers & phishing / hacking attempts, etc. They're all on the ball so far, but unfortunately so many older people fall victim.

Thelma premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2024. It was released theatrically in the United States by Magnolia Pictures on June 21, 2024.[5][6] It released in the United Kingdom on July 19, 2024.[1]

This is Roundtree's final feature film, having been released after his death in 2023.[7]
I will have to wait. Found it on Magnolia for $9.99.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Scam shit is next levels these days no doubt. That pigbutchering shit… nuts

I’m late I assume (probably been reviewed many times over) but caught that BEEKEEPER flick with Statham recently and while appropriately dumb it at least had some type of connection to reality as a jump off point. Entertaining.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Anybody seen this one yet?

Niggas might question her black card - I get it… probably warranted lol. But that she kept her nipples hard in literally every frame she had in MAD MAX: FURY ROAD… I’m doin the “support black women” thing here lol. Reviews I’ve seen - like these - aren’t bad. Should be entertaining enough with the cast too.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Mercer (Tyrese Gibson) is desperately trying to rebuild his life and his relationship with his son (Christopher A'mmanuel) amidst the turbulent 1992 LA uprising following the Rodney King verdict. Across town, another father and son (Ray Liotta and Scott Eastwood) put their own strained relationship to the test as they plot a dangerous heist at the factory where Mercer works. As tensions rise in Los Angeles and chaos erupts, both families reach their boiling points when they collide in this tense crime-thriller.

This one goin straight to streams or limited theatrical?

Saw trailer while back. I’ll waste a couple hours with it lol

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Scam shit is next levels these days no doubt. That pigbutchering shit… nuts

I’m late I assume (probably been reviewed many times over) but caught that BEEKEEPER flick with Statham recently and while appropriately dumb it at least had some type of connection to reality as a jump off point. Entertaining.

What pisses me off with scams too is preying on the vulnerabilities of people, and often seniors. Draining people of substantial amounts of money / life savings quickly ... without remorse. It’s truly cold-blooded and back in the day it was more subtle with door 2 door salesmen selling overpriced vacuums and whatnot.

Regarding Beekeeper ... still been meaning to see it. Heard all the reviews from great to only mediocre.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Knock at cabin m. Night movie with Dave Batista
Don’t pay attention to the low rating , once you watch it you will know why , the subject matter
Movie was really good , I never considered Batista a good actor but after this

Second movie

Barbarian , this movie started out good & then went downhill half way through it , it went from real horror interesting movie to evil dead comedy horror
I didn’t like it after that

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Knock at cabin m. Night movie with Dave Batista
Don’t pay attention to the low rating , once you watch it you will know why , the subject matter
Movie was really good , I never considered Batista a good actor but after this

Second movie

Barbarian , this movie started out good & then went downhill half way through it , it went from real horror interesting movie to evil dead comedy horror
I didn’t like it after that

Yes - thought Knock at the Cabin was pretty good too. Really liked that opening scene with him and the girl ... the way it was filmed.

As for Barbarian ... yeah ... too much suspension of disbelief later in the movie.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dXQD9Hb.md.jpg

The Killer (2024) ⭐ 5.8 | Action

is a remake of a John Woo movie, made by John Woo :hmm:

not as good as the og of course, but still a good movie, i enjoyed it
the girl from Game of Thrones is the assassin here

dX06wqG.md.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BLINK TWICE

ILLUSIONS !!

PRAISE: Director Zoe Kravitz and Co writer E.T. Feigenbaum take specific controversial subject matter ,fame,the pleasures of life and celebrity worship and put a darkly comic comedic spin on it. Most of the movie works for the most part and it's no wonder there is a trigger Warning for this film because it's a huge reflection of horrible situations people have experienced in real life. Channing Tatum does really well as mogul Slater King . He's charming,nice,attentive and giving. As Frida Naomi Ackie is very believable as a woman who falls under his spell. The way she fawns all over him and the casting of a certain actor actually reminded me of a couple of characters from the movie Showgirls. It's easy to see how things and the illusion works because of the invitation to a beautiful island and the liquor and psychedelics are flowing and dinner seems to be at nine,the sun is shining and the women are fine. But something sinister may be simmering beneath the pleasure.Kravitz not only wants the characters to lose themselves in the indulgences they are engaging in but the audience watching the movie too. There's a good who's who in the casting including: Alia Shawkat Adria Arjona, Camilla Liz Caribel, Trew Mullen,Geena Davis, Christian Slater, Simon Rex, and Haley Joel Osment. When the blood and gore starts flowing i thought it was amusing at times because of the way things are set up in the movie.I thought the path of a character was going a certain way and said Oh they are going to try and make me think a certain way about the character and I liked how that was played with.

PROBLEMS: I thought some parts of the movie were overdone in such a repetitive way that it loses the fun of the dark humor and jump scares. I wanted more from the ending which felt kind of basic around its edges.I also felt there was some contradiction tied to the ending.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

The Crow

Love & Revenge

Praise : I'm not going to compare this movie to the 1994 movie because it truly tries to be it's own thing. I did enjoy the performances by Bill Skarsgård as Eric Draven and musician FKA Twigs as Shelly. I liked their whole broken people bonding thing and enough time is spent between the two to make the love between the characters believable. There is a good build up to the ultra violence and gore. There are several unique and great kills. I enjoyed a truly wicked and ultra entertaining moment.As the villain Roeg Danny Huston does what he does best so much so I was looking forward to his inevitable showdown with Draven. The writing and direction made me feel the loss and the yearning especially when coupled with great looking and dreary set designs. It's odd that there were no press screenings for this as if it truly belongs in the August dumpster but it definitely doesn't.

PROBLEMS: The pacing could have been better. I had the same problem with this movie as i did with the movie Trap when it's extremely obvious that something
is going on but hundreds of people dont notice because hey they are so into a show they're watching?!?There are some moments which I felt were to convenient. The latter portions of the movies climax felt a bit lackluster to me because there was such a great build up in its beginning.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Anybody seen this one yet?

He's an occasional guest on NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast when they do movie reviews too ...