Background Vocals by Daniel Daley of DVSN

13. March 14

Produced by T-Minus

Co-Produced by Josh Valle

Additional Vocals by James Fauntelroy

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
DJ Premier on Making Drake's 'Sandra's Rose' & Their Unfinished Song 'Sail' With Rick Ross

0:06
/
0:15
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

6/29/2018 by Carl Lamarre

• EMAIL ME
  • Drake punched in his fifth studio album, Scorpion. The 25-track double-album finds Drake slashing his way through the muddy waters of hip-hop gossip, baby mama drama, and his contentious feud with Pusha T. Rather than bluff and bluster, Drizzy aims and fires with bullets of candor.

One of the standout records from his double-album comes from his DJ Premierand Maneesh-produced track "Sandra's Rose." For years, hip-hop purists have salivated for a Drake and Premier collaboration. In May, anticipation rose to a crescendo when Drake posted a cryptic picture of DJ Premier and a scorpion image on his Instagram story.

READ MORE
    The Five Biggest Questions Facing Drake on His Upcoming 'Scorpion' Album

For "Sandra's Rose," Drake's hectoring punch lines -- including a low blow to Charlamagne Tha God -- and Preemo's dreamy soundscape makes the record an indelible gem from the hefty entree that is Scorpion. Since its release, fans have already been asking for more music between the two sides, and fortunately, according to Preemo, one more track might very well be on the way.

Billboard spoke to DJ Premier about crafting "Sandra's Rose," his favorite line from the song, a second collaboration with Drake featuring Rick Ross called "Sail" and more. Check out the interview below.

Congratulations for the placement on the Scorpion album. I was just on 9th Wonder’s Instagram page, and Cookin Soul commented on the post about “Sandra’s Rose” saying that it’s "the best Preemo beat in years.”

I was on 2 Chainz’s page too and I saw he posted the song. I dropped a little hint yesterday by putting a rose on my Twitter. I knew that was a subtle way of doing it without admitting which one. Everyone was like, “Which one did you do? Which one did you do?” I decided to do a subliminal tease and either you get it when you look at the track list or you don’t get it.

I thought that was a clever way of teasing people, man. How did the beat first come about?

What happened was, well first, I’m actually working on two other album projects that I cannot speak on. I’m so locked into doing these other projects that my manager, Ian, brought it to my attention. He was like, “Hey, man. Drake has a new album and you should get on that.” Me and Drake have talked four or five times just in passing. I’ll see him backstage at a concert or if I’m in town and he’s in town and we’ll run into each other at the same spot.

Every time, it’s like, “We gotta get something in, man. We gotta get something together. One day we’re gonna get something in.” Ian told me the new album’s name is Scorpion and maybe that’s the one I should get on, but I said, "I don’t really have the time right now, but I’ll just shoot 40 a text saying if he needs anything, I’m there."

So, I sent him a text and he said, “Yo. This is a good time. I’ll holla at Drake and let you know.” A week or two passed and Drake hit me and said Drake has this sample he wants me to flip. It’s done by an artist named Maneesh. He’s signed to 40. He creates his own sample sounds to sound like the soul samples, but he creates them himself. When he told me he really wanted me to flip it, he said he really likes the way my drums and bass lines bounce, he said he wanted the Preemo bounce. I was like, “All right, let me hear it.”

He sent me it and it said “Sandra Rose,” and I thought that was the name of the sample. I didn’t know that was going to be the name of the song. A lot of people have a “dummy name” until you get a real title. I thought that was what the deal was, but I thought about it and his mother, I think that’s her name and it’s tied in for a reason. I flipped it and sent it to him. It was around 4 or 5 in the morning.

I get up early all the time. I sent it really late at night, and by the time I woke up, and as soon as I said “Thank you for another day” and my eyes opened, my phone lit up and it was a video clip from 40 of it with Drake’s vocals on it. I had just sent it to him a few hours prior. I know they stay up late just like I do. Same thing with Kanye. It was up to the part where it says “Scratch like Preemo,” and I was like, “Ooh!”

We partially finished it and I told them I wanted to lay scratches on it, but I got in the car because my father wasn’t well. I was on tour and I had to cancel it and come home. I brought my drum machine with me because I wanted to at least distract my mind about him being sick. We knew he was going to pass, but he told us, “Hey, I know I’m going to pass any day. But get me home and let me pass in the house.”

I literally got off stage in Boston on the prom tour. I have a close friend who was instrumental, his name is Carlos Garza, he was instrumental in helping me get signed. I came home and he gave me a key to his studio. I even bought him a mixer so I can go into the studio even in the middle of the night and mix up my own stuff. I was prepared because I didn’t want to miss being on the album.

40 sent me two beats. The other was called “Sail,” like a sailboat. Rick Ross had put a verse on it. Drake never got a chance to put his vocals on it. I was doing two. I didn’t know what they were going to do with that one. “Sail” was actually first. It already had drums in it and everything and I was asking if they can remove certain things, but then I sent “Sandra’s Rose” and I guess that one was the winner. That was immediate.

Like I said, I sent it and in the morning, the vocals were laid. I told him my dad just died and after I bury him at the funeral, if he needs me let me know. He said, “I don’t care if you turn something in on the 27th of June. We will be mixing and recording new songs even at that point."

Literally, “Sandra’s Rose” just got done yesterday.

Wow.

And I’m back in Texas already for family business and I got it done. They literally were recording a bulk of new stuff. My manager sent me a picture of Drake in the booth and I said, “Man, they’re still recording?” He said, "Drake does this all the time. Every time we’re releasing, Drake is recording and doing vocals right before we upload to digital format." I go through the same thing, so I knew what they were going through, so I was like, “Yeah, I’ve been there.”

Even with Nas’ Illmatic, we were down to the wire. We had to master it the next day so it could get put out. I know what it’s like to be that much under the gun while other people think you may have finished it a month ago. He was still cutting.

That’s crazy. I figured that too. When I was listening to the “Talk Up” record and Jay shouted out XXX. I was like, “Damn.”

Yup. And he’s on tour.

What was your favorite line on “Sandra’s Rose"?

“All you n---as scratched like Preemo.” [Laughs] That’s a dope line and a dope plug. I do my radio show on Tuesday nights on Eminem’s Shade 45 channel, so I will be cutting that up to that part. I also did a version with scratches on it and I have to find out if we can put out that version for the DJs. Drake wanted to let that section breathe and I was like, “It’s your record at the end of the day.” I didn’t go too crazy on it. It was subtle, but it works.

I’m already getting texts from DJs asking where the scratches are at. They do exist, but the album version is what it is and I’m fine with that.

Twitter was going nuts with that. They were like, “The beat is crazy, but where are the scratches though?”

Maybe we can get like a scratch mix or a DJ mix if they’re cool with it. I’ll follow up on it. I already have that version and I'll pass that to the DJs.

I loved how when he rapped: "N---as want classics, that's just 10 of these." [Laughs] Ten of these!

The chemistry on the track was there. Would you entertain doing a full project with Drake, like 10 songs deep?

Yeah, [the chemistry] was great. That's a dope line. That's a dope way to start off a second verse too. But yeah, most definitely. With my eyes closed, I'd do it.

This is very early to say, but do you think Scorpion has the potential to be alongside an All Eyez on Me, Ready to Die and SpeakerBoxx/The Love Below in terms of being a high-caliber double-album?

It’s hard for me to say because I just started listening to it this morning. Even though I heard “Emotionless” because I wanted to see what that one was about. “March 14,” even “Ratchet Happy Birthday,” I was like, “What’s that about?” I just got it, just like everybody else. I only heard the one that I worked on. On “Sail,” I only heard Rick Ross’ verse because Drake never cut his vocals on it.

I’m not really a comparison dude. Even when people say “Big or Pac?,” because they’re two totally different types of lyricists. Pac is more of a revolutionary, very militant and into philanthropy and things of that nature, while Big is a dope MC who loves to rhyme and enjoys making good records funny, serious and emotional in all different aspects. Pac’s “I Get Around” is a fun record but “Hail Mary” was heavy street shit and “Dear Mama” will forever go down as one of the greatest records ever made and emotional records ever made when it comes to your mom.

I just would never compare the two, like how today I don't put Kane or Rakim or Kane and KRS-One, because their rhyme styles were so not the same and their approach was so not the same. I just keep them all in their own lane, unless you sound like a biter, and Drake has his own lane. You know, that's why he's being hated so much, because a lot of people look at the Degrassi thing as the thing that doesn't solidify him in some type of way because he was actor.

He was an actor, but whatever, he has the records, though. The records matter. They're dope. You can't deny the great records that he makes, which is why he stays on top. It's the records. They hold weight and they're timeless. He's like JAY-Z. He has that many hits and his catalog is tremendous. It's insane.

I asked Pusha T and T.I. the same question, and I'm curious about whether you think you can be considered the best rapper alive if you don't write your lyrics.

I definitely put that in a different box. I say if you don't write your lyrics, then you can't be the best rapper alive. Not at all. You can be one of the best artists, especially in rap, you gotta write everything yourself. Again, I never witnessed what goes on in Drake's sessions and with all the past stuff with the whole Quentin Miller [ghostwriting allegations], I know there's more to that than for us to really say, "Oh, how many times did that happen?," even if it's not Quentin Miller and it's anybody.

But I agree, to call yourself the best rapper alive, I would single that to strictly writers and those who write. Still, that doesn't mean you can't be the best artist, because the artistry is there and you can't take that away. But in the rap world, you're supposed to write everything yourself.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Drake's 'Scorpion' Sparks 3 Million Tweets in 24 Hours, According to Twitter

0:38
/
1:55

6/29/2018 by Connor Whittum

• EMAIL ME
  • Drake's new album Scorpion, and according to Twitter, they are putting those opinions to use on the social media platform.

Twitter reports that in the past 24 hours, Drake has been tweeted about more than 3 million times. The double-disc album has been generating substantial buzz due to Drake's revealing of a speculated secret child, his response to a highly publicized feud with fellow rapper Pusha T, and a feature on the album from Michael Jackson.

The most tweeted-about tracks:

1. "Emotionless" (Side A)
    2. "In My Feelings" (Side B)
    3. "8 Out of 10" (Side A)
    4. "Jaded" (Side B)
    5. "That's How You Feel" (Side B)

Interestingly enough, there have been three times more tweets about the second half of the album, Side B, than the first half. Side B notably features the soul-bearing tracks "In My Feelings" and the Michael Jackson-assisted "Don't Matter to Me."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Start preparing your Drizzy Instagram pics now.
Drake's always known how to pack heat in a verse, and Scorpion is no exception.

The highly anticipated fifth studio album arrived today (June 29), confirming the rapper's fatherhood, potentially calling out some of the 6 God's ongoing feuds, and features JAY-Z, Michael Jackson and Ty Dolla $ign. Perhaps most importantly for Drake fans, the rapper provided us with enough Instagram captions to ride out the rest of summer '18.

READ MORE
Drake Raps About Being a Father on 'Scorpion': 'The Kid Is Mine'

Get your Instagram post ready and check out some of the best one-liners on Scorpion.

"Survival"

"My Mount Rushmore is me with four different expressions"

"Emotionless"

"I was hiding the world from my kid"

"I know a girl happily married 'til she puts down her phone"

READ MORE
JAY-Z Wonders Why George Zimmerman is Still Alive on Drake's 'Talk Up': Listen

"Gods Plan"

"Don't pull up at 6 AM to cuddle with me"

"8 Out Of 10"

"The only deadbeats is whatever beats I been rappin' to"

"Mob Ties"

"I just gave 'em two for forty million like Chappelle"

"Cant Take A Joke"

"You know when it comes to pride, I can't put that shit aside"

“Back and forth to Italy, my comment section killin’ me”

"Sandras Rose"

"N----- see the crib and ask who did I steal from"

"Crime family like the Genovese"

"You don't want drama, capisce?"

"My house is full of supermodels just like Mohamed Hadid"

READ MORE
Drake Samples the 'Atlanta' Episode That Takes Place at His House on 'Scorpion'

"Talk Up"

"I got your president tweetin', I won't even meet with him"

"Is There More"

"Only problems I do are math problems with profit"

"Only lyin' I do is lyin' out in the tropics"

"My moral compass is janky, it breaks in the south"

"Too many Walt Disney characters, mouses and goofs"

"It's too bad reality checks don't cover the balances due"

"Blue Tint"

“Way this shit set up I live like Ronaldo”

“In My Feelings”

"I buy you Champagne but you love some Henny"

"Fuck that Netflix and chill—what's your net-net-net worth?"

“Final Fantasy”

"Ayy, freaky like the red leather Michael"

“March 14”

"She not my lover like Billie Jean, but the kid is mine"

"I promise if I'm not dead then I'm dedicated"

"October baby for irony sake, of course"

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Drake's 'Scorpion' Breaks One-Week U.S. Streaming Record in Only Three Days

0:20
/
1:55

7/2/2018 by Keith Caulfield

• EMAIL ME
  • Drake’s Scorpion has already smashed the U.S. one-week streaming record for an album -- in just three days.

According to industry sources, the set -- which was released June 29 via Young Money/Cash Money/Republic Records -- has tallied over 435 million on-demand audio streams for its 25 songs in the U.S. through July 1. That sum vaults past the previous record, earned by Post Malone’s beerbongs & bentleys, which earned 431.3 million streams for its songs in the week ending May 3, according to Nielsen Music. Notably, Post Malone’s set earned its total over a full seven days of tracking.

Forecasters expect that Scorpion could collect over 700 million streams in the U.S. by the end of the tracking week on July 5.

READ MORE
    5 Things We Learned From Drake's New Album 'Scorpion' on First Listen

Scorpion is set to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart (dated July 14) with perhaps over 700,000 in overall equivalent album units earned -- the biggest week for an album in 2018.

Scorpion's official first-week streaming sum — along with its overall consumption figure and album sales start — as collected and verified by Nielsen Music, is slated to be announced on Billboard's websites on July 8.

If Scorpion starts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, it will log Drake his eighth chart-topper in-a-row. All seven of his previous full-length albums have debuted at No. 1. His only chart entry to miss the top was his first release, the EP So Far Gone, which debuted and peaked at No. 6 in 2009.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week based on multimetric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The top 10 of the July 14-dated Billboard 200 chart (where Drake could debut at No. 1) is scheduled to be revealed on Billboard’s websites on Sunday, July 8.

READ MORE
    Every Artist on Drake's 'Scorpion' Who Isn't a Feature

Scorpion’s arrival on the chart coincides with the list’s first week of employing an updated weighting formula for on-demand audio streams, giving greater emphasis to paid subscription streams.

Through the July 7-dated chart, one SEA unit equaled 1,500 on-demand audio streams across all streaming services that contributed to the chart. From July 14-onward -- on the Billboard 200 and all other album consumption charts -- one SEA unit will equal 1,250 paid subscription audio streams or 3,750 ad-supported streams.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For yall to dislike Drake so much yall sure do love speaking about him and posting threads about him. I guess yall have a love hate relationship with him. You hate him but love talking about him.
THe album was double trash....shit was his worst album to date...I dont see how anyone can like this album; only stand out songs were the ones he had already released....

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
See the full credits below:

Side A

1. Survival

Produced by No ID

Additional Production by Noah “40” Shebib

2. Nonstop

Produced by Tay Keith

Additional Production by No ID & Noel

3. Elevate

Produced by Nonstop Da Hitman

Co-Produced by PARTYNEXTDOOR

4. Emotionless

Produced by No ID

Co-Produced by Noah “40” Shebib

Outro & Additional Keyboards by The 25th Hour

5. God’s Plan

Produced by Boi-1da, Cardo & Young Exclusive

6. I’m Upset

Produced by Oogie Mane

7. 8 Out Of 10

Produced by Boi-1da & Jahan Sweet

Additional Production by OB

8. Mob Ties

Produced by Boi-1da & Allen Ritter

9. Can’t Take A Joke

Produced by ModMaxx

10. Sandra’s Rose

Produced by DJ Premier

Additional Production by Maneesh

11. Talk Up ft. Jay-Z

Produced by DJ Paul

Background Vocals by Baka Not Nice

12. Is There More

Produced by Wallis Lane & Preme

Additional Vocals by Nai Palm

Side B

1. Peak

Produced by Noah “40” Shebib

2. Summer Games

Produced by Noah “40” Shebib & No ID

3. Jaded

Produced by Noel

Background Vocals by Ty Dolla $ign

4. Nice For What

Produced by Murda Beatz

Co-Produced by Blaqnmild

Additional Production by Noah “40” Shebib & Corey Litwin

Additional Vocals by: Big Freedia, 5thWard Weebie & Glenishe “Bobby Jean” Rowe

5. Finesse

Produced by Noel

Background Vocals by James Fauntelroy

6. Ratchet Happy Birthday

Produced by Boi-1da

Co- Produced by Jahaan Sweet & D10

Background Vocals by PARTYNEXTDOOR

7. That’s How You Feel

Produced by Noel

Additional Vocals by Nicki Minaj

Background Vocals by DJ Boof

8. Blue Tint

Produced by Supah Mario

Additional Production by IllMind

Additional Vocals by Future

9. In My Feelings

Produced by TrapMoneyBenny & BlaqnMild

Additional Vocals by Lil Wayne, Magnolia Shorty & City Girls

10. Don’t Matter To Me feat. Michael Jackson

Produced by Noah “40” Shebib & Nineteen85

11. After Dark feat. Static Major & Ty Dolla $ign

Produced by Static Major & Noah “40” Shebib

Additional Vocals by Al Wood

12. Final Fantasy

Produced by Boi-1da & Noah “40” Shebib

Co-Produced by Jahaan Sweet

Background Vocals by Daniel Daley of DVSN

13. March 14

Produced by T-Minus

Co-Produced by Josh Valle

Additional Vocals by James Fauntelroy
all the songs sound the same:smh: you can tell he did this album to get out of his contract; very boring and uninspired album....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
all the songs sound the same:smh: you can tell he did this album to get out of his contract; very boring and uninspired album....

Its a very odd listen

cause this IS Drake's lane...

but he didn't sound COMFORTABLE

and the MOST special under appreciated thing about Drake music?

40 Shebib

that man creates this "pocket" that is unparalleled

there are HITS on here and if it was 10 tracks?

you ALMOST got a classic damn near album of the year.

and WE have to admit...

Pusha REALLY effected not only how we LISTEN to this album but also how DRAKE recorded and SOUNDS on this album.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Its a very odd listen

cause this IS Drake's lane...

but he didn't sound COMFORTABLE

and the MOST special under appreciated thing about Drake music?

40 Shebib

that man creates this "pocket" that is unparalleled

there are HITS on here and if it was 10 tracks?

you ALMOST got a classic damn near album of the year.

and WE have to admit...

Pusha REALLY effected not only how we LISTEN to this album but also how DRAKE recorded and SOUNDS on this album.
Very much so. I'm really surprised how effective pusha was

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
SSB8vCk.jpg

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Never heard a whole album before but I know there’s a download lank somewhere (*hint hint) so Drake will be aight. :hmm: Man that’ll be the day I pay for one of his albums. Idgaf if Toronto do win, fuck Drake

godofwine

Supreme Porn Poster - Ret
BGOL Investor
Never heard a whole album before but I know there’s a download lank somewhere (*hint hint) so Drake will be aight. :hmm: Man that’ll be the day I pay for one of his albums. Idgaf if Toronto do win, fuck Drake
I've never willingly listened to a Drake song. I've been forced to listen or had it playing around me, but I've never said, "I want to listen to Drake right now."

He's okay. At least o can tolerate his voice more than Lil Wayne, my God that dude sounds like he hasn't hit puberty

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Celine Dion Begs Drake Not To Ruin His Body!
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTU4MDYyMTQ0Mzc4MzgxODI4%2Fdrake.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2FG10dHDOHMESCi0pO20trYQ%2Fphoto%3Fversion%3D0

byRico Panacea10 hrs

Celine is pleading with the rap star to rethink his idea to get her tattoed on his body.

(AllHipHop Rumors) Unquestionably, Celine Dion is a music legend, most notably known for her soaring vocals. She is in the upper echelon of singers.

The songstress has released her fair share of hits throughout the years. Her single, “My Heart Will Go On,” is still one of her biggest records to date.

Recently Dion conducted an interview with People Magazine and during the interview, Celine sent an interesting message to Drizzy himself.

It all started back in 2017, when Drake declared his desire to get a Celine Dion tattoo on his rib cage.

Now Celine is asking Drake not to do such an absurd thing.

“You can write me love letters, you can send me autographs for my kids, you can come and visit. I can have you home for lunch or dinner… we can go for a drink. We can sing together. Whatever you want to do. I can talk to your mother — whatever you want! But please…,” said Celine Dion said asking the rapper to rethink his idea.

Do you think that Drake will honor her request? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.