Taraji P. Henson breaks out crying mid interview when discussing her financial situation

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is just reductionist bullshit thats counter to facts and reality. You same level clowns said the same shit about Monique.. she then went on to get a multi movie and standup deal from the entity she "cried" and "complained" about. Your entire argument is to not only reduce her comments to begging but then to also claim such "begging" can never result in remedy. Your entire argument is honkified. It paints legitimate complaints of racism as useless crying while suggesting we ignore it, accept it, and just try harder. Its literally a white mans talking point.
I offered up other courses of action that don't seem to connect with you nor her. Clearly you're from the MLK school of waiting and hoping change is gonna come.

You are so obsessed with honkys why doesnt taraji and the other black actors start a union, go on strike, you know actually action instead of begging..isn't that what ya white saviors did?

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I offered up other courses of action that don't seem to connect with you nor her. Clearly you're from the MLK school of waiting and hoping change is gonna come.
You didnt offer shit you bitch ass nigga. And anyone thinking MLK was "waiting and hoping" is a certified imbecile and supreme piece of shit that shouldnt be allowed to breath. Nigga fuck yo life and the bitch that gave it to you.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
You didnt offer shit you bitch ass nigga. And anyone thinking MLK was "waiting and hoping" is a certified imbecile and supreme piece of shit that shouldnt be allowed to breath. Nigga fuck yo life and the bitch that gave it to you.
Goes to show people don't know shit about their history!

They think it's cool that racism still exist and that our people should just shut up and work.

coons are out of control!

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You look up to MLK I look up to kwame toure. Coon in peace

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
This thread shows who side they're on when talking about this situation Ms henson is going through in the entertainment industry. Some people have exposed themselves on this thread being on the CACs side underpaying black actors and actresses. Carry-on!

We have the BGOL Woman Haterz Club and the BGOL Accountants all chiming in about something they don't understand, Black Women and finances.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I will say this cause that cry said a lot.
These entertainers are getting jerked or are bad with money management living above their means. Rihanna was broke. And if it wasnt for her products she would still be struggling. Fat Joe, snipes the list goes on. So Im not judgy but we dont know what happens behind the scenes

All that may be true for them. And you’re right, we don’t know what go on behind the scenes. It’s still a hustle out here. Nothing is stable. These entertainers realized their careers isn’t as stable or worthy as they would like it to be, and like most people do in life, they must adapt to the times and situations.

Like professional sports players, these entertainers have a shelf life if they aren’t careful. I have sympathy with them on a human level, but only to a degree. Because like everyone out here on earth, they got to live and hustle.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I know someone who is like in the 9th grade she wants to be an influencer. Like not even interested in school after graduation at all. I guess thats better than 17 and 18 year old kids taking out 50k loans for college who really don' t know what they want out of life.

Fam!!! I'm beefing with my niece about this now. She's in college but wants to drop out to be an influencer. Would be different if she had a million followers and had brand deals on deck she couldn't get to because of school. But she has a tiny ass following and doesn't post consistently. Like wtf.

Last edited:

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
All that may be true for them. And you’re right, we don’t know what go on behind the scenes. It’s still a hustle out here. Nothing is stable. These entertainers realized their careers isn’t as stable or worthy as they would like it to be, and like most people do in life, they must adapt to the times and situations.

Like professional sports players, these entertainers have a shelf life if they aren’t careful. I have sympathy with them on a human level, but only to a degree. Because like everyone out here on earth, they got to live and hustle.
Thats the thing I agree. If u look at the top actors they all have production company. Will Smith making 20 mill per movie and still has production company.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Another thing is I blame black hollywood as well. Its like they cant get it together. There are too many stars that dont get along or want to be the only one making money. Or are working with selective people. Look at Adam Sandler he making all his bum friends millionairs.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
It’s not money management.

It’s negotiating that contract which all these actors work under. They ain’t hourly/salaried workers.

Like I stated earlier a lot of actors are broke. It’s all due to that contract negotiation.

Eddie Murphy left SNL and went Hollywood. His people negotiated that multi picture deal with Paramount which set him up for life with the money he made. A number of actors followed his lead back then.

Ted Danson renegotiated his contract with NBC for Cheers getting a million dollars per episode, actors after him followed.

Tom Hanks got that script for “Forrest Gump” and did the math realizing that script was a Lottery ticket and negotiated that contract getting a percentage of the gross and made out like a Fat Cat.

William Shatner got that gig for Priceline.com doing those corny commercials, instead of getting a check, his peoples negotiated that contract where he got a percentage of gross on what Priceline.com made and he made a killing.

Margo Robbie recently did it with “Barbie”.

A lot of actors have not figured the game out and get screwed.

You taking a gamble doing that, but like I stated earlier in the thread, you gotta hustle.

These Hollyweird studios ain’t no different than working at Walmart or McDonald’s.

Their business plan is “If We Can Figure Out A Way Not To Pay You…We Gonna Exploit That Opportunity 100%”.
So, she should do things that only have been done by white males, a hot as fish grease Eddy Murphy, and the top WHITE ACTRESS in Hollywood who was starring in a feminist film? Margo could've ask for whatever and receive it. Considering the climate, the movie, her standing in Hollywood, and her race.

Do you know how unrealistic that would be? And out of all the names you throughout there notice you didn't have a BW to list.

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So, she should do things that only have been done by white males, a hot as fish grease Eddy Murphy, and the top WHITE ACTRESS in Hollywood who was starring in a feminist film? Margo could've ask for whatever and receive it. Considering the climate, the movie, her standing in Hollywood, and her race.

Do you know how unrealistic that would be? And out of all the names you throughout there notice you didn't have a BW to list.
Exactly

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thats the thing I agree. If u look at the top actors they all have production company. Will Smith making 20 mill per movie and still has production company.
Having a production doesn’t mean anything unless you have a bank behind you. Films are investments. To make investments, you need capital.

Who are the black movie theatre owners?
Another thing is I blame black hollywood as well. It’s like they cant get it together. There are too many stars that dont get along or want to be the only one making money. Or are working with selective people. Look at Adam Sandler he making all his bum friends millionairs.
Blame yourself. Some folks are content getting roles while others are interested in making films.

Imagine a money trough. Some folks are content to feed at it, while others are interested in cloning themselves and putting themselves up and down the line and still complain that Variant Middle of the Pack is starving.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
the point is u have to have multiple hustles in this business
No. Think of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Did one man or woman shoulder the entire enterprise of resistance? We resisted as a people. People means more than one. You can’t have one sole negro fighting everybody. Individualism isn’t a thing in the real world.

You need accountants, you need lawyers, you need insurers, and the people who insure them. You need actuaries. You need an army. But why would you need an army if you don’t even acknowledge you’re in a war? And you still need insurers to insure the insurers and the original insured.

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Both were for Black liberation and advancement. Nothing opposing about that. Further, no need to bring them up here for divisive purposes. Craka.

Kwame would have loved baby boy... nothing more divisive than that mess you call entertainment

Lattimore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I mean let’s keep it a buck has she ever been the headliner of a movie to make $100m or $50m hell $25m. U don’t get big bucks if u can’t open a movie or kick box office ass overseas. She ain’t it,and I like her somewhat but she’s not getting millions up front plus backend money when you can’t draw box ofe. Now the tv shows shes done should have made her a multimillionaire IF she invested her money properly.
This is an under appreciated comment and it is 100% accurate whether we're talking film or music.

The box office don't care if you can act or sing it cares what you sell. Are you driving people to the theater

to spend their money on you at the box office? Period.

If you're selling seats you have negotiating power, if you're not Jesus could be your agent and Moses your manager

it won't matter. I'm not saying there isn't a pay disparity and i'm not saying she hasn't been in classics that have

made money. For a certain type of film (those targeted towards black audiences) she might be able to say to producers

"give me back-end or I won't do the picture," but she's gotta be willing to pass on 250k-500k a few times to train the

decision makers that she means business and that her brand is worth the back-end she's requesting

(this is management & agents role together).

Let's be 100% honest about Taraji... she brings a certain skill level (acting etc) that not many others posses

"for a certain type of role." Hidden Figures made $235 million world wide and $169 million domestically,

on a $25 million dollar budget (per my goto box office mojo).

This is a perfect example of a film Taraji should've received back-end on. Period.

Take the shit guarantee (maybe 150k) and demand the backend after studio recoups. If the producers

are spending $25 million they're attaching an actress that is going to lock this movie. This was a missed opportunity

but she likely got paid close to a million for the role if not a million and that ain't easy money to pass on; depending

on whatever's happening in your life at that time.

In all of Taraji's biggest box office successes she has been a part of an ensemble cast (important piece but not

essential). Taraji should be upset but she's in that rare and difficult spot between bankable ensemble cast

member and box office driver. She's not bankable by herself but she IS a strong hedge. How she's compensated

depends on what vehicle she's being asked to participate in and what her toolkit does for the vehicle, and that math

changes every second. I feel for her... and I understand why she's frustrated. I also see she's only had 1 really solid

opportunity to completely G- off (Hidden Figures), imo. At that moment she was positioned to take advantage of a big

enough budget, strong enough vehicle and hedge her bet.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Another thing is I blame black hollywood as well. Its like they cant get it together. There are too many stars that dont get along or want to be the only one making money. Or are working with selective people. Look at Adam Sandler he making all his bum friends millionairs.

Seth Rogan pretty much works with the same people too. That also goes for behind the scenes people.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
This is an under appreciated comment and it is 100% accurate whether we're talking film or music.

The box office don't care if you can act or sing it cares what you sell. Are you driving people to the theater

to spend their money on you at the box office? Period.

If you're selling seats you have negotiating power, if you're not Jesus could be your agent and Moses your manager

it won't matter. I'm not saying there isn't a pay disparity and i'm not saying she hasn't been in classics that have

made money. For a certain type of film (those targeted towards black audiences) she might be able to say to producers

"give me back-end or I won't do the picture," but she's gotta be willing to pass on 250k-500k a few times to train the

decision makers that she means business and that her brand is worth the back-end she's requesting

(this is management & agents role together).

Let's be 100% honest about Taraji... she brings a certain skill level (acting etc) that not many others posses

"for a certain type of role." Hidden Figures made $235 million world wide and $169 million domestically,

on a $25 million dollar budget (per my goto box office mojo).

This is a perfect example of a film Taraji should've received back-end on. Period.

Take the shit guarantee (maybe 150k) and demand the backend after studio recoups. If the producers

are spending $25 million they're attaching an actress that is going to lock this movie. This was a missed opportunity

but she likely got paid close to a million for the role if not a million and that ain't easy money to pass on; depending

on whatever's happening in your life at that time.

In all of Taraji's biggest box office successes she has been a part of an ensemble cast (important piece but not

essential). Taraji should be upset but she's in that rare and difficult spot between bankable ensemble cast

member and box office driver. She's not bankable by herself but she IS a strong hedge. How she's compensated

depends on what vehicle she's being asked to participate in and what her toolkit does for the vehicle, and that math

changes every second. I feel for her... and I understand why she's frustrated. I also see she's only had 1 really solid

opportunity to completely G- off (Hidden Figures), imo. At that moment she was positioned to take advantage of a big

enough budget, strong enough vehicle and hedge her bet.
The issue is she said they wanted to pay her $100k. She was the 3rd actor on the call sheet for Ben Buttons. She fought to get $150k she said.

These mofos mentality is put "a" black actress in that role. So she would of said no, they would of got anyone to fit the role on her same level. And that's probably the same situation for many.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The issue is she said they wanted to pay her $100k. She was the 3rd actor on the call sheet for Ben Buttons. She fought to get $150k she said.

These mofos mentality is put "a" black actress in that role. So she would have said no, they would have got anyone to fit the role on her same level. And that's probably the same situation for many.
You’re mind is going to be blown when you realize they could have plugged anyone into the role, they would have won best supporting actress, and they too would be here and now complaining about whatever this thread is about.

Create your own totems and shrines and you can value it however you want to value it.

ANGRY MAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sad sad sad, black women remind me so much of drug dealers. They get addicted to the money thinking it will never end. When from the jump they only end up dead in jail or even broke.

My sisters do something similar as well. They look beautiful with no husband on their are. No kid in sight so independent. They believe they can run the table until their 40’s, then they look up and the wall is undefeated.

Thinking about all those men they turn down, At her peak the husband could’ve invested her money and set up something nice. Most great men have awesome foresight into the future. This is why women need to lock a great man down.

Lisa Ray, Stacey Dash, Lark Voorhies, Tarij and Vivica Fox just have you shaking your head how they turned out.