TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

88236059-13716079-image-a-63_1722982066717.jpg

88236049-13716079-image-m-54_1722979090267.jpg

88236057-13716079-Patti_Yasutake_who_starred_in_Emmy_Award_winning_limited_series_-m-47_1722978341243.jpg

RIP.

And the Orange Moron is still walking and breathing…

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

86043113-0-image-a-3_1718222062165.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
If it hasn't been mentioned yet

Savage Beauty on netflix is good TV!

Savage Beauty is a South African drama television series that was released on 12 May 2022 on Netflix.[1] The series was written by Lebogang Mogashoa. It centers on a mysterious woman who, as part of a plan to exact revenge for her tragic past, enmeshes herself in a family that controls a global beauty empire while hiding some dark secrets.[2][3] Season 1 amassed 10,630,000 viewing hours within its first week and ranked among Netflix’s Top 10 TV shows in 13 countries in that same period.[4] Season 2 was released on June 28, 2024.[5]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched the pilot episode for this series yesterday.

It had some amusing moments at times, and was easy enough to get through at under 25 minutes. The pacing and editing felt frantic though. Plenty of "jump cuts" or whatever they're called. Scenes felt brief & rushed.

I will check out more in the weeks ahead and keep it in the rotation. Hopefully they slow things down a bit though ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Mayor of Kingstown season 3 finale

I have watched a lot of TV shows over the years and there have definitely been some that put me on edge as soon as the first frames start rolling. Snowfall, Marcella, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones to name a few.It was either because a character or several characters had painted themselves into corners I didn't think they could get out of. A character had a goal in mind but had lost all logic and reason in pursuit of that goal and I wondered if they were going to get taken out or take themselves out. Mayor of Kingstown has been all of the aforementioned and more. It's a bleak show with small rays of hope that barely sneak in. Writers and creators Taylor Sheridan and Hugh Dillon set up story threads that are edgy and then some and I never know who's really going to come out on top or just meet their fates. Season 3 just proves how great the writing, acting and production this show has and is maintaining.

Thanks. Gonna check out the season finale shortly.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

nev-schulman-bike-accident-3-081024-73c9ed9562d74156984b232255416e65.jpg

88394317-13731603-His_album_contained_a_grisly_close_up_of_the_gash_along_the_back-a-2_1723331582889.jpg

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
Savage Beauty is a South African drama television series that was released on 12 May 2022 on Netflix.[1] The series was written by Lebogang Mogashoa. It centers on a mysterious woman who, as part of a plan to exact revenge for her tragic past, enmeshes herself in a family that controls a global beauty empire while hiding some dark secrets.[2][3] Season 1 amassed 10,630,000 viewing hours within its first week and ranked among Netflix’s Top 10 TV shows in 13 countries in that same period.[4] Season 2 was released on June 28, 2024.[5]
Seriously...Tyler Perry needs to take notes..

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Leatherf7ce

Phantom of the Chakras
BGOL Investor
How are people liking Emperor of Ocean Park?

I haven't had a chance to check the series out ...

I loved this author and this book (all of his work is worth checking for- especially if you from DC it's a central background theme) and was very excited this got optioned BUT this series is fucking horrible. The actors seem to have no connection with the words, the plot is built is the dumbest way possible. Total money grab by some fag network exec cuz this could've been epic. Show feels off as fuck like white ppl directing it

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I loved this author and this book (all of his work is worth checking for- especially if you from DC it's a central background theme) and was very excited this got optioned BUT this series is fucking horrible. The actors seem to have no connection with the words, the plot is built is the dumbest way possible. Total money grab by some fag network exec cuz this could've been epic. Show feels off as fuck like white ppl directing it

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Stax: Soulsville USA

8.5/10

I finished watching this documentary series last night on the road.

It’s a damn good series on the history of Stax records. It covers how it got started and its slow rise. Booker T. explains how “Green Onions” came about. Otis Redding was the first superstar and they cover how he started, his rise and how his death affected the company.

The series goes in depth on Stax first decline and how it restarted itself with Isaac Hayes becoming its next superstar. Isaac explains how he developed the classic “Shaft” theme song and the series explains how Stax hustled to get the Shaft theme an Oscar win.

Clive Davis is introduced along with his part with Stax records 2nd decline which lead into it finally being shut down. I never was aware of Clive Davis history so I was surprised at his story. What he did will give you a different perspective on his relationship with Whitney Houston and her death.

I was never aware that Stax had a benefit concert in the 1970s in Watts, CA that became a historic event. There is a documentary that was filmed at the event and I now got it on my list of must see.

One of the cool things of the series is listening to the music played and picking up classic drum beats, guitar riffs, horns and vocals that have been used in classic Hip Hop songs from the 1980s until the early 2000s. It shows how much influence Stax had on Hip Hop music.

This is a definite must see documentary if you are a fan of classic R&B. There are 4 episodes that run one hour each.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@playahaitian

I haven't listened to it yet, but just added it to my podcast playlist rotation for the days ahead ...

July 30, 2024 2:17 PM ET

Paul W. Downs co-created the HBO Max show with his wife, Lucia Aniello and their friend and collaborator, Jen Statsky. The three met at the Upright Citizens Brigade. Downs talks with Ann Marie Baldonado about how they came up with the idea for Hacks, tackling cancel culture, and how his wife continued directing the show while she was in labor. Hacks is nominated for 16 Emmy awards this year, including for Downs for his role as Jimmy.

Also, David Bianculli reflects on the Turner Classic Movies series Two for One.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Umbrella Academy series finale

I can definitely tell Netflix was ready to move on from TUC the number of episodes, how condensed it was from previous seasons and how some characters were completely forgotten and barely spoken of.Gene and Jean Thibedeau portrayed by Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally were just OK as the villains. I preferred Hazel and Cha Cha from the previous season. I liked the display of powers whenever it happened during the episodes. Any side stories or adventures felt condensed and I didn't mind it at all. I was happy to see more of a camadarrie between the characters. In the end the main characters did what heroes due for the most part if I'm reading a graphic novel,watching a movie or superhero series show like this.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

i4hx4MIYk6nxhJN7KwTmMz2W1cO.jpg