Weight Loss/get in better shape journey thread

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m the opposite to those that lift. I’ve never been good at weights. In high school, I was strong in my legs, but weak in my upper body.

I don’t have muscle stamina to life weights. I can’t jump rope much because it strains my lower back. I don’t want to hoop anymore because the injury risk is too high and I ain’t got time for rolled ankles.

Running was the only thing I could do that was free, easier on my body, with a ton of health benefits.

I remember when I was 225, out of shape, and smoking 2 to 3 black and milds a day. I got out of breath putting my socks on one day and vowed to change my ways.

Now, I’m in a groove and I see the difference physically and mentally.
I love jumping rope with my weighted rope, it's easier on me being a bigger guy
But Plyometric exercises are life to me

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Box jumps
Gotta get some real resistance bands
My wrestling coach lives by kettlebells

Box jumps definitely sound good (for full body workout).

Resistance bands are great. I initially got into them back in the late-90s as a teen. My mom worked as a nurse, and when she worked at one of the local medical clinics they often had excess supplies, and occasionally products from companies. They said to staff to help themselves, if they could use stuff at home. She brought home some of those rubber medical bands which were several feet long. They were great for lying down and doing resistance stretching, or as a substitute to dumbbells for standing bicep curls.

Kettlebells are great for creating your own exercises. The key is just to do things safely, and if you're unsure about certain movements ... just go more slowly.

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Even though I'm juicing I'm gone do 2 boiled eggs for wrestling class on Wednesday
Tmw gone be leg day let's see how this goes

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Definitely going to check it out...

Out for a few days with a lil muscle strain I think in my shoulder...Sticking to HIIT and Cardio the remainder of the week...

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered
Did damn near 5 and a half miles. :dance:[...]
I think I could have easily done 6 either time, it just wasn't built into my route and I was tired of adding little extra batches to it. Definitely think I can hit 7 in October.

9/20 after my high point of under 5.5 miles-- "Definitely think I can hit 7 in October."

Last night, October 1st, I decided to run to the Washington Monument. I expected it to be about 6.8 miles and I was pretty confident that I'd make it.

That would have been my high point for the year by a mile and best since my all-time best way back in 2016.

I got a little lost on the way back... Ended up doing 8.7 miles, a lifetime best :dance:

IMG-1181.jpg

This was day 3 in a row of running at least 4 miles, and the 4th of the last 5 days.

It probably wasn't until 7.5 miles in that I thought "I might not be able to finish this." I think I could've made 9 but 10 was probably out of reach. 10 is the new goal for the year since 8 was my goal I wasn't sure I could attain.

"I'm in the game now
I ran 8 miles
I ain't the same old nigga with the same style"

:dance::dance::dance:

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I forgot to log my leg day
3 sets of 10, 3 second pause rep squats
135(2) 225(1)
One set of 5 front squat 135
3*315
Then
1*10 leg press with 1 leg
with one 45 on each side, all the way up to 3 45s on each side(5)
Then it was hip adduction sets
One leg box squats
Then it was the videos I posted
I'm paying for it today though
I'm working on being explosive and muscle endurance

Last edited:

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered
This was day 3 in a row of running at least 4 miles, and the 4th of the last 5 days.

It probably wasn't until 7.5 miles in that I thought "I might not be able to finish this." I think I could've made 9 but 10 was probably out of reach. 10 is the new goal for the year since 8 was my goal I wasn't sure I could attain.

Man, my unrealistic ass was thinking "So I'll do three 5 mile runs during the week and a longer one on the weekend now."

images

I did 5 miles on Tuesday and 5 today. Had to start walking halfway through each time, after going nearly nine without stopping on Sunday. About a 9 minute average pace each time as opposed to 8.5 on the long run. Obviously took more out of me than I thought.

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Doing more HIIT and mixing in heavy lifting days today was light legs day with my sons. Tmw will be tire workout with jump rope and parachute intervals. I'm also gone incorporate battle ropes, Spider-Man push ups and kettlebells

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As for food, I do 3 juices a day and then a light meal to keep that balance. I'm officially addicted to potatoes at this point

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
This is The Catcher In The Rye-- Moved back to my original screen name.

I think it would be better for me professionally to exercise in the morning, because I have better mental clarity post-workout and I'm somewhat wasting that on evening & late night hours. However, I'm also naturally nocturnally inclined and it is hard for me to exercise early.

I was wondering which is better as far as dealing with fat-- Sharing the three articles I pulled from Google:

• September 21, 2022:
  • Published in May in Frontiers in Physiology, the research was designed to reflect real-world demographics, said Paul Arciero, the director of the Human Nutrition, Performance & Metabolism Laboratory at Skidmore College, in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and the study’s lead author.
  • All of the volunteers self-identified as male or female, and more than half of the 56 participants were women. They also were all healthy and physically active but not athletes. ...
  • For women, fat burned away better in the morning. ....
  • For men, evening exercise was the clear winner in terms of health. The evening exercisers significantly lowered their cholesterol levels, while the morning exercisers, surprisingly, slightly raised theirs. Evening exercise also fired up men’s fat-burning. By the end of the study, the bodies of the male evening exercisers were burning about 28 percent more fat during workouts than at the start, a shift that can drive body-fat loss. The morning group’s fat-burning grew only slightly.
  • Any time was the right time, though, for men to up their strength and fitness. Among the men, morning and evening exercisers raised their bench press, leg press, sit-up, push-up and other strength bests by about the same extent, whether they exercised early or late.

• Feb 16, 2023:
  • Researchers have found via a mouse model that exercising in the morning helps increase fat burn compared to working out in the evening. ...
  • Although people know they should work out, much debate exists over what is the best time of day to exercise for the most benefits. For example, one study in October 2021 found exercising in the morning may be more beneficial for people with obesity, while another study in September 2021 found evening workouts more effective for overweight men. Now, researchers from the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden found that exercising in the morning helps increase fat burn compared to working out in the evening in models of mice. ...
  • When asked what the next steps for this research would be, Dr. Zierath said the limitation of the current study was that the work was only performed in healthy mice. “Our next step is to perform a similar study in men and women with [healthy] weight or obesity. It is important to understand if our findings can be applied to fine-tune the well-known benefits of exercise on metabolism,” she continued.

• Sept. 19, 2023:
  • Is morning the best time of day to exercise? Research published Tuesday in the journal Obesity finds that early morning activity — between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. — could help with weight loss. “My cautious suggestion from this study is that if we choose to exercise in the early morning, before we eat, we can potentially lose more weight compared to exercise at other times of the day,” said lead researcher Tongyu Ma, a research assistant professor at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
  • On average, people who performed moderate to vigorous exercise in the morning were more than a decade older than those who exercised later in the day. Although some younger adults were morning exercisers, the older age might explain the findings, Ma said. The observed benefits “may not be due to activity patterns, it might be due to their age and different response to exercise.” Other factors aside from exercise timing may also play a role: Morning exercisers were predominantly white and female, had a college degree and had never consumed tobacco or alcohol. They were also more likely to work out at the same time every day. Compared to those who exercised later, people who did so in the morning consumed fewer calories and, interestingly, spent more time sedentary than people in the other groups.

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
today is wrestling class which means hill intervals or a mile and half run and thats before class
then we have high rep body movement drills and kettlebells and thats before drills and sparring
so i've had 3 boiled eggs and 2 juices so far i'm finna get on this cybersecurity from google and finish
my certification and relax until class at 5

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I’m continuing to improve.

Ran my 5k in 24 minutes and 20 seconds. That’s a personal record. I ran my last mile in 7 minutes and 13 seconds. The fastest mile I have ever ran was 5 minutes 29 seconds when I was 18 years old.

21 years later, I’m two minutes away from that. My goal is to get this under 7 minutes. I think I might be able to accomplish that.

My worthy is steady at 190. I got my wellness check up this week, so I should be ok. I feel great physically and mentally. Daily life stressors exists, but I’m overall in a good headspace.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This is The Catcher In The Rye-- Moved back to my original screen name.

I think it would be better for me professionally to exercise in the morning, because I have better mental clarity post-workout and I'm somewhat wasting that on evening & late night hours. However, I'm also naturally nocturnally inclined and it is hard for me to exercise early.

I was wondering which is better as far as dealing with fat-- Sharing the three articles I pulled from Google:

• September 21, 2022:
  • Published in May in Frontiers in Physiology, the research was designed to reflect real-world demographics, said Paul Arciero, the director of the Human Nutrition, Performance & Metabolism Laboratory at Skidmore College, in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and the study’s lead author.
  • All of the volunteers self-identified as male or female, and more than half of the 56 participants were women. They also were all healthy and physically active but not athletes. ...
  • For women, fat burned away better in the morning. ....
  • For men, evening exercise was the clear winner in terms of health. The evening exercisers significantly lowered their cholesterol levels, while the morning exercisers, surprisingly, slightly raised theirs. Evening exercise also fired up men’s fat-burning. By the end of the study, the bodies of the male evening exercisers were burning about 28 percent more fat during workouts than at the start, a shift that can drive body-fat loss. The morning group’s fat-burning grew only slightly.
  • Any time was the right time, though, for men to up their strength and fitness. Among the men, morning and evening exercisers raised their bench press, leg press, sit-up, push-up and other strength bests by about the same extent, whether they exercised early or late.

• Feb 16, 2023:
  • Researchers have found via a mouse model that exercising in the morning helps increase fat burn compared to working out in the evening. ...
  • Although people know they should work out, much debate exists over what is the best time of day to exercise for the most benefits. For example, one study in October 2021 found exercising in the morning may be more beneficial for people with obesity, while another study in September 2021 found evening workouts more effective for overweight men. Now, researchers from the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden found that exercising in the morning helps increase fat burn compared to working out in the evening in models of mice. ...
  • When asked what the next steps for this research would be, Dr. Zierath said the limitation of the current study was that the work was only performed in healthy mice. “Our next step is to perform a similar study in men and women with [healthy] weight or obesity. It is important to understand if our findings can be applied to fine-tune the well-known benefits of exercise on metabolism,” she continued.

• Sept. 19, 2023:
  • Is morning the best time of day to exercise? Research published Tuesday in the journal Obesity finds that early morning activity — between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. — could help with weight loss. “My cautious suggestion from this study is that if we choose to exercise in the early morning, before we eat, we can potentially lose more weight compared to exercise at other times of the day,” said lead researcher Tongyu Ma, a research assistant professor at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
  • On average, people who performed moderate to vigorous exercise in the morning were more than a decade older than those who exercised later in the day. Although some younger adults were morning exercisers, the older age might explain the findings, Ma said. The observed benefits “may not be due to activity patterns, it might be due to their age and different response to exercise.” Other factors aside from exercise timing may also play a role: Morning exercisers were predominantly white and female, had a college degree and had never consumed tobacco or alcohol. They were also more likely to work out at the same time every day. Compared to those who exercised later, people who did so in the morning consumed fewer calories and, interestingly, spent more time sedentary than people in the other groups.

For me it’s in the morning. Lately, I’ve been starting between 7 and 8 am.

I run on an empty stomach too. I can lose 2 to 3 pounds in a single run.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I’m continuing to improve.

Ran my 5k in 24 minutes and 20 seconds. That’s a personal record. I ran my last mile in 7 minutes and 13 seconds. The fastest mile I have ever ran was 5 minutes 29 seconds when I was 18 years old.

21 years later, I’m two minutes away from that. My goal is to get this under 7 minutes. I think I might be able to accomplish that.

My worthy is steady at 190. I got my wellness check up this week, so I should be ok. I feel great physically and mentally. Daily life stressors exists, but I’m overall in a good headspace.

I was going to do my regular 4-5 mile run today after running Mon/Tues/Wed last week and taking the rest of the week off (and actually doing some other exercise-- crunches-- this weekend). Saw this and decided to see what the best I could do for a single mile was.

My goal was to use the first mile to get loose and go for it on the second. I did better than I expected out of the gate...

IMG-1271.jpg

I did some aggressively unnatural back stretching before this and my back was hurting after two so, after 2/3rds of a mile walking, I decided to to throw in the towel rather than suffer a setback and be out of commission for 6 weeks.

After I walked 2-3 blocks, I felt better and stretched and decided to give it a go, ended up finishing at exactly 5 miles by coincidence:

IMG-1272.jpg

The time on that last third of a mile is deceptive because I hit a downhill incline exactly at the 2 mile mark. A benefit of this is I now know that the incline at the start & finish of my route is exactly .3 miles.

I was really surprised to have such good times on the second attempt... My goal was just to finish.

Overall, we tied exactly at 7:13 as a top rate!

I'm shooting for 7:00 as well-- I think I can get there but it will not be easy...

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I was going to do my regular 4-5 mile run today after running Mon/Tues/Wed last week and taking the rest of the week off (and actually doing some other exercise-- crunches-- this weekend). Saw this and decided to see what the best I could do for a single mile was.

My goal was to use the first mile to get loose and go for it on the second. I did better than I expected out of the gate...

IMG-1271.jpg

I did some aggressively unnatural back stretching before this and my back was hurting after two so, after 2/3rds of a mile walking, I decided to to throw in the towel rather than suffer a setback and be out of commission for 6 weeks.

After I walked 2-3 blocks, I felt better and stretched and decided to give it a go, ended up finishing at exactly 5 miles by coincidence:

IMG-1272.jpg

The time on that last third of a mile is deceptive because I hit a downhill incline exactly at the 2 mile mark. A benefit of this is I now know that the incline at the start & finish of my route is exactly .3 miles.

I was really surprised to have such good times on the second attempt... My goal was just to finish.

Overall, we tied exactly at 7:13 as a top rate!

I'm shooting for 7:00 as well-- I think I can get there but it will not be easy...

That’s excellent. Seeing your times pushed me to see if I could improve my time. I wasn’t expecting this type of improvement though. My body reacted well to increased activity.

Im glad you decided to use the first mile as a warm up. It makes a big difference versus going hard the last couple of miles. Plus, I feel like it improves your endurance. Eventually, you’ll improve the first mile, but the last mile is best go all out on.

Apple Watch has my VO2 max at 49.8 right now. So I am able to hold high levels of oxygen for longer periods, especially when my heart rate is over 170 bpm.

If I get under 7 minutes, then that’ll be amazing. Im going to increase my mileage to build up my endurance. I usually run 6 for my endurance runs.

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yesterday was leg day
Still doing my pause rep squats on 135 and 225 then finding with 5 of 315
Leg press was straight, did one leg up to 3 wheels on each side then finished with 2 sets of 10 with 5 wheels and did 25 calf raises. That's the only way I can do them for some reason. Did the glute/hip bridge up to 495. Decided to use the loaded rack for front squats, gone implement those in my workout
Finished with one leg box squat jumps, double jump box jumps and kettlebell exercises

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Today I decided to switch it up
I ran a half a mile with 50lb weight vest on, only took me 6 min(income on way back)
Did 5 min with my weighted jump rope
Seen how many push ups I can do in 5 days (90), then I finished out the 100 in 5:10
Ended with 5 min of ab work
Completed everything in less than 30 min was proud of myself

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Been helping my dad as he recovers from knee replacement surgery (R knee). Had the surgery done just over 3 weeks ago, and spent just over 2 weeks at his GF's place, and back at his own residence ever since.

Taking him to his recent appts ... cooking ... running errands and keeping him company.

He's been good about icing it up, as well as getting the proper exercises & mobility routines in. He has an assortment of stuff to help him get around - a smaller walker, and a 4-wheeled one / crutches / a couple of canes. Got a few ice packs & an ice machine.