What unpopular opinions do you have? Hip-Hop/Rap edition

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Cardi B's worst song was "bodak yellow". She sounds like she has a concussion.

Vanilla ice bit his flow from kwame

Chris Brown is the Samuel L Jackson of hip hop. He's on everything.

Danny boy, sen dogg, DMC, Oates, and that other Guy member who's not Arron or Teddy need to do an album together. It would be funny as hell even if it sucked.

Never party with anyone who says public enemy would have been better if without Flava Flav. You might as well hang out at the library.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Cardi B's worst song was "bodak yellow". She sounds like she has a concussion.

Vanilla ice bit his flow from kwame

Chris Brown is the Samuel L Jackson of hip hop. He's on everything.

Danny boy, sen dogg, DMC, Oates, and that other Guy member who's not Arron or Teddy need to do an album together. It would be funny as hell even if it sucked.

Never party with anyone who says public enemy would have been better if without Flava Flav. You might as well hang out at the library.

But it still bumps

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
But it still bumps

People like it, but I still don't understand why. When the record pool first send me this I deleted it from my hard drive before the end of the first verse. Eventually had to buy a copy because people kept requesting it.

It was so bad that I hesitated to check out "I like it like that." But that song is a monster!

After years of DJing I've gotten pretty good at figuring out what a hit sounds like, but I never saw that one coming at all! Since then I've looked at it from every angle to see if there was something I missed, so far nothing.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
People like it, but I still don't understand why. When the record pool first send me this I deleted it from my hard drive before the end of the first verse. Eventually had to buy a copy because people kept requesting it.

It was so bad that I hesitated to check out "I like it like that." But that song is a monster!

After years of DJing I've gotten pretty good at figuring out what a hit sounds like, but I never saw that one coming at all! Since then I've looked at it from every angle to see if there was something I missed, so far nothing.

I can't lie I didn't get on first listen...

But damn it when I heard at an event?

I got it.

And then I heard the lyrics and knowing her story? It hit different

I got it.

Especially the i don't dance no more I make money move. That sh*t hits a particular group differently than us and that's fine

That's how music works

And she has actually improved and it's become her style which she is able to use well and not as simple and chopping as it seems

Sadly like anything many have now mimicked it very poorly and proven not everyone can pull it off.

But to me this song also shows the power influence skill talent and ear of a REAL DJ.

Cause DJs helped blow that record up and I've heard it played and played well at the craziest places.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Donald Trump and the opioid pandemic made trap music go mainstream.

Some of the best lyricists in the game come from London.

If you're over 40 and still in the rap game stick to features.

A lot of the old school greats could barely even stay on beat. Especially Ice-T, Easy E and Jalil.

Hip hop did not start in Jamaica, but that influence was crucial.

Drake's music did not put Canadian hip hop on the map. His acting did.

E-40 has been recording different versions of the same song for the last 10 years.

"First Class" is Jack Harlow's worst song by far.

Hip hop is a lot less misogynistic now than it was in the 90s.

The name Cold Crush Brothers is a drug reference. Say it fast four times and you'll understand.

Stripper rap has morphed into front door hooker rap.

When used wrong auto-tune can make you sound like a goat, not the greatest of all time, but an actual barnyard goat. Just look at xxxtentacion on "moonlight" or Post Malone on anything.

Post Malone is also proof that the only thing worse than having two first names is having two last names.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I can't lie I didn't get on first listen...

But damn it when I heard at an event?

I got it.

And then I heard the lyrics and knowing her story? It hit different

I got it.

Especially the i don't dance no more I make money move. That sh*t hits a particular group differently than us and that's fine

That's how music works

And she has actually improved and it's become her style which she is able to use well and not as simple and chopping as it seems

Sadly like anything many have now mimicked it very poorly and proven not everyone can pull it off.

But to me this song also shows the power influence skill talent and ear of a REAL DJ.

Cause DJs helped blow that record up and I've heard it played and played well at the craziest places.

I think the TV show might have had more to do with that. Then again I never watched it.

First place I got requests for it was at the outside land music festival in 2017. Most of the fans were 16-year-old blondes with fur coats and snapbacks.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

A lot of the old school greats could barely even stay on beat. Especially Ice-T, Easy E and Jalil.

E-40 has been recording different versions of the same song for the last 10 years.

The name Cold Crush Brothers is a drug reference. Say it fast four times and you'll understand.

When used wrong auto-tune can make you sound like a goat, not the greatest of all time, but an actual barnyard goat. Just look at xxxtentacion on "moonlight" or Post Malone on anything.

Post Malone is also proof that the only thing worse than having two first names is having two last names.
I think Anderson Cooper would take issue with that...lol

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor

Trap music? You must mean drill music. Gucci, T.I, and Jeezy were out way before Trump became president and young black youth were poppin pills.

And my unpopular opinion is Biggie being in any top 5 list with only 2 albums is insane. New York goated that nigga cuz they didnt have shit else going on at the time. Same with 50. Nigga was just OK.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I think the TV show might have had more to do with that. Then again I never watched it.

First place I got requests for it was at the outside land music festival in 2017. Most of the fans were 16-year-old blondes with fur coats and snapbacks.

It all played a part

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Over the years I’ve came to realize Speakerbox is better than the Love Below and 3Stacks be on some bullshit. Still my top 5 favorite group
1. 3000 jacked his whole style from Big Gipp.
2. Who in the hell goes to a Trina show? That should be a 15 minute ordeal.
3. AZ was better than Nas.
4. The D.O.C. is the best west coast rapper, ever.
5. Treach is a top 5 rapper.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Trap music? You must mean drill music. Gucci, T.I, and Jeezy were out way before Trump became president and young black youth were poppin pills.

And my unpopular opinion is Biggie being in any top 5 list with only 2 albums is insane. New York goated that nigga cuz they didnt have shit else going on at the time. Same with 50. Nigga was just OK.

Yeah, it was out before Trump, but it wasn't the kind of thing you would play at a suburban high School dance. Trump got everyone in the country so depressed they needed music to reflect that.

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
50 years is nothing homie...Symphonic music is 500 years old and a lot of that shit still packs a house today...

7 Eras of Classical Music
  • Medieval (c. 1150-c. 1400)
  • Renaissance (c. 1400-c. 1600)
  • Baroque (c. 1600-c. 1750)
  • Classical (c. 1750-c. 1830)
  • Early Romantic (c.1830-1860)
  • Late Romantic (c.1860-c.1920)
  • 20th and 21st century (c. 1920-present)

I AGREE 100% WITH YOU ON THE MUSIC..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
1. 3000 jacked his whole style from Big Gipp.
2. Who in the hell goes to a Trina show? That should be a 15 minute ordeal.
3. AZ was better than Nas.
4. The D.O.C. is the best west coast rapper, ever.
5. Treach is a top 5 rapper.

1. o_O
2. :lol:
3. :hmm:
4. Hmmmm.... but ain't he from Texas?
5. I agree he is a certified undisputed all time legend and grossly under appreciated

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
We were supposed to perform at the Super Bowl,” he says, “but we had two songs, ‘The Way You Move’ and ‘Hey Ya’ and Dre didn’t want to split the songs up. He didn’t want to cut the songs. He wanted to do both songs. They was like, ‘Y’all can’t do it.”

Big Boi says he tried “a lot” to convince 3 Stacks to cut the songs so OutKast could perform, but he wouldn’t budge.

“To this day, he’s like, his son tells him, ‘Dad, you should’ve performed at the Super Bowl,'” he says. “We look at it now, we laugh, but hopefully they’ll invite us back.”

* ummmm @woodchuck

How would you deal with a music partner like Andre?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We were supposed to perform at the Super Bowl,” he says, “but we had two songs, ‘The Way You Move’ and ‘Hey Ya’ and Dre didn’t want to split the songs up. He didn’t want to cut the songs. He wanted to do both songs. They was like, ‘Y’all can’t do it.”

Big Boi says he tried “a lot” to convince 3 Stacks to cut the songs so OutKast could perform, but he wouldn’t budge.

“To this day, he’s like, his son tells him, ‘Dad, you should’ve performed at the Super Bowl,'” he says. “We look at it now, we laugh, but hopefully they’ll invite us back.”

* ummmm @woodchuck

that time when Andre's artsy fartsy shit fucked up a global opportunity...All that shows was that OutKast wasn;t ready for the big stage...

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

* ummmm @woodchuck

The bigger question is why did big boi want to do the show?

I can understand the love of football, and the childhood dream thing, but outkast broke up because they were tired of the record label pushing them to be more mainstream. What could possibly be more mainstream than a halftime show?

And really, what was the super bowl really going to do for them? They were already independently wealthy, already had millions of fans around the globe, and were already regarded as hip hop pioneers and legends. What's left to gain?

Andre 3000 was just following the old show biz rule of "never turn down a gig, just ask for more than what they're willing to give."

He knew damn well that every super bowl halftime artist, including Michael Jackson, has to cut their songs and sing a medley. It's an important part of how the NFL choreographs the show. That "crazy" demand was his way of saying no without saying no.

It's probably why they're able to laugh about it now.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
-Lupe Fiasco was a poser

-Eightball carried MJG. When they finally released solo albums, Eightball dropped a classic double album, MJG, left on his own, his shit was trash.

-Kendrick Lamar’s last album was trash.

-Cormega was the best MC in ‘The Firm’.

-Foxy Brown ran circles around Lil Kim as an MC, never got Kim’s level of public acclaim.

-De La Soul sucked.

-Listening to overly sexualized lyrics and copious amounts of misogyny in rap wasn’t no big deal until you started having kids, especially daughters, now it’s hard to listen to a lot of stuff.

-XXL > The Source

Part 2
-“Mr. Ice Cream Man gets a lot of credit, but “Ha” by Juve is the song that opened the south to the rest of the country.

-“Ha” is also one of, if not maybe, the greatest rap videos ever made. #2 would be “What You

-Little Brother is a top 5 hip hop group of all time.

-Phonte Coleman is a top 5 MC of all time.

-Eminem had one good album, the first one. The rest was some bs angry white boy rap/rock/grunge blend where he wasn’t even rhyming he was mainly yelling. But, he knew his audience and the suburban white boys and the like ate it up.

Got damn.... Lots to agree with here.

Little Brother helped me with my hip hop fix in college. Top 5 is tough...Wu, The Roots, ATCQ, Gangstarr, BlackStar, Kast....

Agreed, Em's albums are trash besides the first one. The rest, maybe less than 5 tracks that are memorable.

De La though... Wow, lol.

Foxy was the better rapper and yes on Cormega.

Mos Def only has ONE good album

I fucked with The Ecstatic.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The bigger question is why did big boi want to do the show?

I can understand the love of football, and the childhood dream thing, but outkast broke up because they were tired of the record label pushing them to be more mainstream. What could possibly be more mainstream than a halftime show?

And really, what was the super bowl really going to do for them? They were already independently wealthy, already had millions of fans around the globe, and were already regarded as hip hop pioneers and legends. What's left to gain?

Andre 3000 was just following the old show biz rule of "never turn down a gig, just ask for more than what they're willing to give."

He knew damn well that every super bowl halftime artist, including Michael Jackson, has to cut their songs and sing a medley. It's an important part of how the NFL choreographs the show. That "crazy" demand was his way of saying no without saying no.

It's probably why they're able to laugh about it now.

Super Bowl matters.

Outkast became mainstream before Hey ya but that cemented it.

the "mainstream" discussion and what that really means and what it dies to the ART vs the business is a huge topic and I don't think we can have here.

But it's a dope discussion

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LL Cool J has 2 to 3 tracks per album worth a listen. Not sure if anyone can listen to a full album and like all tracks.

Reactions: cnc

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Super Bowl matters.

the "mainstream" discussion and what that really means and what it dies to the ART vs the business is a huge topic and I don't think we can have here.

make the thread and lets have it!!!

en-garde-ma-mignonne.gif

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It's difficult for me to take that seriously when Gipp ain't been gropping no classic verses like that during and since

And I'm a Goodie fan.

If someone allegedly TOOK your style?

TAKE it back.
That was before the internet. Now you can put the videos/songs together. It’s obvious, Kinda like Radiohead/Coldplay. Shit is obvious.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Super Bowl matters.

There's a big difference between going mainstream and being accepted by a mainstream audience. Outkast was very much the latter.

However, the more you get that acceptance the more you're expected to meet it halfway. Not just with your music, but also in the way you appear to the public, The company you keep, your political opinions, etc.

Outkast didn't want to live that life nor did they really need to.

I would also point out that if outkast died in a plane crash tomorrow turning down the super bowl would not make one bit of difference in their bank account or legacy.

cnc

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Got damn.... Lots to agree with here.

Little Brother helped me with my hip hop fix in college. Top 5 is tough...Wu, The Roots, ATCQ, Gangstarr, BlackStar, Kast....

Agreed, Em's albums are trash besides the first one. The rest, maybe less than 5 tracks that are memorable.

De La though... Wow, lol.

Foxy was the better rapper and yes on Cormega.

I fucked with The Ecstatic.

De La just never connected in a lane that helped me understand who they were and what they were about. They were NY’ers, but didn’t have that grim and grit that the NYC MCs from the other boroughs had, nor the charisma of say, an LL Cool J. They were like, to me, a version of what NYC back packer neo soul hip hop was. It just ain’t hit with me fam.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
There's a big difference between going mainstream and being accepted by a mainstream audience. Outkast was very much the latter.

However, the more you get that acceptance the more you're expected to meet it halfway. Not just with your music, but also in the way you appear to the public, The company you keep, your political opinions, etc.

Outkast didn't want to live that life nor did they really need to.

I would also point out that if outkast died in a plane crash tomorrow turning down the super bowl would not make one bit of difference in their bank account or legacy.

the super bowl thing is more about Dre mindset attitude and feelings about music industry fame.

Your focusing too much on the value of the half time show.

It was more about his best friend and son wanting him to do it and still refusing