What unpopular opinions do you have? Hip-Hop/Rap edition

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Deuce may have his own reasons, but I umbrage with his comments on this video.

kobe-bryant-what.gif

These are my exact reasons.

America has no culture, yet he's performing in the birthplace of America's original artform, Jazz, whose DNA is in hip-hop.

You could go a little further and say that hip hop's DNA has blues in it, something we created. Hell,we can go further than blues and say that slave hymns are inside of hip hop's DNA.

I just don't understand this attempt to discredit Black Americans that created hip hop....

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
kobe-bryant-what.gif

You could go a little further and say that hip hop's DNA has blues in it, something we created. Hell,we can go further than blues and say that slave hymns are inside of hip hop's DNA.

I just don't understand this attempt to discredit Black Americans that created hip hop....

I used Jazz because he was in New Orleans and he previously claimed that America has no culture.

I wasn't attempting to give a history lesson on Black music.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
co-sign the Foxy >>> Lil Kim

2pacalypse now >>>> Me against the
world

Lil Wayne is overrated...

Killa Cam is top 15 and one of the most "entertaining" rappers of all time..

Group Homes "Living Proof" is a classic album

Twista and Devin the dude are criminally underrated.

Cappadonnas "The pillage" was the last great Non ghostface related Wu-Tang Album

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

2pacalypse now >>>> Me against the world

Cappadonnas "The pillage" was the last great Non ghostface related Wu-Tang Album

Everything except Foxy (I love you Inga but...)

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

I feel the same way especially Twista...

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’ve always thought Lil Wayne was wack. For some reason he just never did it for me.

Other than Scarface, Will Smith is the greatest story-teller whoever did it.

It doesn’t sit well with me that Ms. Melodie doesn’t get the credit she deserves.

Kid Capri isn’t as good as he thinks he is. DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Cash Money, and Scram Jones can run rings around him on the turn tables.

Lyrically, Ghostface is heads and shoulders above everyone else in the Wu-Tang Clan.
I had no idea this was an unpopular opinion about Ghostface. However, I will exclude Raekwon the Chef. They duo'ed excellently every time.
Just because Biggie ain't record Brenda's having a baby and dear momma doesn't mean he wasn't equally introspective heartfelt vulnerable in his music.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I definitely had his rap way different than Pac in my youth. Gave the whole album a listen the last three years straight and believe it or not...it's still a masterpiece. Biggie's upside was just as big as Tupac's. I didn't realize it until I saw his documentary.
2023 Hip Hop artist are like TV ministers. TD Jakes and Creflo Dollar aren't great preachers, they are just popular and get a lot of press.
TD Jakes can preach and I don't care for preachers in that way. Crefloe, yeah, you right...
that time when Andre's artsy fartsy shit fucked up a global opportunity...All that shows was that OutKast wasn;t ready for the big stage...
And that he had a personality "disorder" and/or social anxiety. We forget how young we were watching them make million dollar decisions at our same age...it's wild when you look back.
Nore and Meek Mill are so dumb in real life, I can't believe they wrote songs.
This shows you the difference between being gifted/talented and judging someone off of this fake ass U.S. Education system.

Nore finished the 7th grade and made a life for himself out of NYC. I will always have mad love and respect for that cat.

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lyrically, Ghostface is heads and shoulders above everyone else in the Wu-Tang Clan.
I definitely disagree. If you ask a Clan Member, or even Ghostface himself, they will say Inspectah Deck and Gza are the best lyricist. They have said it many times in interviews.

Ghostface has been the most active, nobody who has studied all the members catalog, will say Ghostface is the best lyricist in the Wu. He may be the best or most consistent overall artist, but not the best lyricist.

Ghostface is my favorite artist in the Wu, but I can't say he is the best lyricist, and I know his catalog better than most, check my posts.

Gza has the third or fourth best vocab in hip hop history. Its documented.

xxironxx

PhD in Trollin
BGOL Investor

Twista and Devin are definitely 2 of my favs

xxironxx

PhD in Trollin
BGOL Investor
Nothing new. Things I've stated here numerous times:

Cam and everything Dipset related is trash
Kendrick been trash since GKMC

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I know it sounds crazy but I feel like EVERY SINGLE Big Sean verse is going at Kendrick.

I cannot be the only one.

I swear bgol gave me this idea a l9ng time ago.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Again subjective. But trust me I get it.

Especially if you couldn't understand what they were saying, cause initially I could NOT.

But thankfully a Cleveland kid schooled me. And I really learned to appreciate it.

Especially after a WHOLE lot of folks tried to jack it.

And this was BEFORE streaming and they DOMINATED radio (and video)...

and MOST IMPORTANTLY not just hip hop formats

I've said this before I also felt the sane with Kendrick intially

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Boots Riley has an unpopular hip hop opinion that would melt BGOL's servers.
Fam, you can’t say something like that & not follow up. This Boots from the Coup, probably the angriest lead MC since Chick D.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
did Kendrick surpass Ice Cube in murdering rappers in diss tracks??

LIST YOUR TOP 5 RAP BEEF/DISS TRACK

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Ebro says Toronto has "no sound"?​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

cnc

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
I feel All eyes on me was PACs 3rd best album and hella overrated.
Agree.

1) Me Against the World
2) The Don Kilkuminati
3) All Eyez on Me

All Eyez on Me dragged on too long. Had a ton of heat and wouldn’t been an insane 14 track single disc but since double albums were a thing then, the double disc was how it was released. The first disc on its own was a fucking BEAST.

In fairness, it was one of the better double albums of that era. Not quite Wu-Tang Forever territory, but it and Life After Death were one tier below that level.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First it's all subjective

In this thread we had a hip hop seasoned veteran try to disparate Ready to Die as not classic (I fixed that sh*t)

So there's that. :lol:

If we are truly being serious like when I was taking advanced literature courses

Whether you personally liked a work or not - there are standard undisputed facts of what a masterwork is.

Illmatic. Is a classic.
Reasonable Doubt
Death Certificate
Ready to Die
OBFCL

Pick your Outkast album.

Redman also has the rare 3 classics in a row.

A classic hip hop album is the perfect combination of production style sequencing length vibe execution cohesiveness and delivery

Nas made you feel what it was like to be a smart kid trapped in the projects

Jay made you feel like a hustler with a conscience

Biggie showed you depression guilt sex crime and urban life as a young black male misunderstood

Cube? Come on he STILL telling the Compton story on wax perfectly even in adulthood

Outkast showed you the ATL life and worldview and emotions never tackled in that way with that sound

Wu Tang slang Shaolin Mafia bong bong

But Busta in a weird way has similar discography as Drake.

He has hits that 15 20 25 year vets don't have. Timeless transformative genre and Era defining pop hits. You cannot dismiss that

Their CAREERS are classics their songs, performances, guest appearances, videos EVERYTHING.

But the traditional The Source 5 mic classic?

Probably not.

But the closest is Diaster to me.

I would need to do a deep dive to be sure.
Brother, beautiful breakdown. They not ready to be objective. Listening to albums is a way of life.
To me they need lifetime hip hop achievement awards and their own wings in museums

Ice T Latifah will Smith Ludacris Ice Cube Snoop

then Nas and Jay Z and Dre

and yes you probably gotta but Drake in there somewhere soon

And yes probably maybe Kanye pre meltdown

I know I'm forgetting folk but I think those are the undisputed when you talking global hip hop in the sense of influence music tv radio film investment fashion producing on all levels concerts longevity relevance etc etc.
We should have had enough pride, yes I agree with you, to host our very own Hip Hop Awards from the inception...because we shoulda known they was gonna come looking for it and that way we would not have even been looking at the Grammy's as something to aspire to.
I am NOT in the position to comment either way but there interviews where members of Bone and Three Six both talk about and take that sh*t seriously. But I don't even like to entertain that stuff.
Listen. The mystical. The magic. The arcane. It's deathly and lively real...
Tip top 2/3 outta atl
I wager you 2 Chainz, Big Boi, or Killa Mike for that spot.

And I love T.I.P. However, Pretty Girls Like Trap Music is the album that started to create separation from every...other...A...rapper, outside of Dré.

Word on the street, and I didn't say it: individuals in P.S.C. own camp say that Young Dro is a better rapper than T.I.P. so there's that.

I say that just to show how many angles and tentacles this conversation has depending on what and who you know.

I heard not one...single...lie. He nailed it.
Is it possible for a group that's been called underrated...actually be overrated??

If so..thats the roots and black thought
Have you not heard the freestyle, My God? That ALONE!
Master P had the funding to transform that type of hip hop a reality for the mainstream. Lil Jon was just one of many artists. A tool. Master P was the entrepreneur that pushed it.
Lil John was never "just one of many artists." He was presented to us, in the city, as a bonafide producer. Then we talk about his other pluses.

Master P, however, is very underrated in his importance to hip hop. If you gonna capitalize in capitalism, he was proactive and more artists should have built on his model because the system ain't gon' let you get 'em twice.
Biggie was over rated
Pac was on bullshit when he got with deathrow
Nas first album is "aaaight" at best and not a classic
Drake shit is hot garbage
Jay-z IS NOT the greatest or even close to it.
Kanye ain't been the same since ma dukes passed.
Rakim looks like an old wino and sounds corny using slang when he speaks
50-cent is a bigger and better troll than anything he raps about.
NWA introduce a whole coast of fuckery that they take no responsibility for
Dre is not a genuis but just a dude who is not efficient but because of his hits, his flaws & limitations are always on display
Enimen is nice but if he was not white, his shit would be trash. He gets a passed because he's a whiteboy with a half ass flow
Marley Marl is/was a better producer than DJ Premier.
Lil Kim, Foxxy Brown, Queen Latifah, Remy Ma, Salt&Pepa and the likes at best are ok but none of them spit any real fire album after album. Sex sells.
Lyrically can't nobody fuck with KRS-One but his ego hurts his career far more than he's willing to make it. KRSOne is NOT HIPHOP
LL Cool J needs to stop fucking around and get back into the studio with Marley Marl & Rick Rubin.
Andre 3k is a weirdo ass rapper and his rhymes often sound like "boo-boo".
Lil Wayne is burnt out and a lean head and makes no damn sense when he opens his mouth but occassionally can come up with a verse.
Kendrick Lamar, The Game, Nicki Minaj, Fat Joe, Papoose, DJ Khaled are more famous than what their talent shows.
The transparency and directness of it all is impressive and refreshing.
If Tupac wouldn't have gotten killed in Vegas he have gotten killed some where else, hell I might have put a bullet in his ass if I saw him. He was a habitual line stepper. Him thinking Biggie or Diddy were involved in his shooting was ridiculous. Like no nigga, average niggas want to get at you because you're a fucking loud mouth knowitall who plays Mr. gangsta and real gangsta's don't wear tutu's.
Revolutionairies can never outrun the assassination. Rapping was a gift. Being a revolutionary was a calling. Do the knowledge. Dear Mama doc.

I love this moment.

Became a true fan

It was crazy cause his flow to me always seemed so awkward. The stop and start off beat on beat the patterns his voice the speed...

But it's like the more u listen to it you GET IT.

And he has emotion when he raps you can feel his rhymes. He is so damn sincere. From day one till now

And for years as dope as Cole was I never felt that. But now he sounds so hungry on every single verse

Funny Drake started out so excited and passionate on EVERY FEATURE and then... not. And I'm a big Drake fan.

I completely missed this. I haven't fcked with K-Dot since, I think, before his first album. I was just telling Bae, I figured out why I don't care for J. Cole or K. Dot: their sound. Lyrics, storytelling, delivery, excellent. The sounds of their voices just aren't appetizing to my ear. It may indeed be my loss.

I have yet to listen to a full KRS ONE album. Please understand, I have given him his flowers while alive. I just have never been compelled to stream his work fom start to finish and I know I am missing jewels. I need to do it this month.
Most controversial opinion of all...

Hip hop is alive and well. Rap music is just as good now as it's ever been. Maybe better!

So why doesn't it seem that way?

Part of it is selection bias. When we listen to our golden years music we play the classics and ignore the crap. With modern music you get both. Whenever you compare the best of one era to the entirety of another the latter will always seem worse.

Part of it is nostalgia. The songs we heard when we graduated high school, attended college, got our driver's license, first apartment, or our first sip of alcohol become the soundtrack for the rest of our lives. This is why most music is aimed at people aged 16 to 24. The further you are from that demo the less relatable it becomes.

That's also the age where people assert their identity by rebelling against the older generation. Part of that rebellion includes purposely making and listening to music that we hate.

Folks our age talk endlessly about how today's music has been corrupted or co-opted. How artists don't have the same talent that they used to. The bar to entry is too low. The youth are brainwashed, etc.

However, grab an old Source or XXL magazine from the 90s or 2000s and you'll see hip hop's elder statesmen make the same complaints about the music we listened to. We get mad when rappers say "fuck Pac", but how many of our heroes did a track with Melle Mel?

This negative perception of today's music is nothing more than a symptom of a generation gap. Let's stop fighting our kids and embrace them for who they are.
On it's face, there is nothing out of place in this response until the very last line.

However, there is no generation gap. We are not in some war torn country where a generation has been decimated.
Let's face the music: Gen X hip hop consumers did not turn their intelligence into awareness to have enough courage to stand on what was good about Hip Hop, knowing it was going to be commercialized, and not developing a system of education for our children to consume rap going forward. And now we'ere here. We gotta own that.

Yes, every era had music that was less than desirable, however, the commercialization is at a fever pitch for something that was never really developed for mass consumption.
I will say this: for someone who stopped purchasing music right before the turn of the century, streaming for new artists/groups/sounds is a GODDESSSEND!
True, but so what?

Deep thinking and social commentary can be exhausting. Sometimes you need an artist who has nothing to say.

Speaking of Drake, how come nobody ever credits him being one of the first mainstream rappers to incorporate afrobeat?
When you are great, you create, perform, and provide both. As the old folks used to say, "Everybody ain't able." And that's okay!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@BigATLslim

Wonderful argument

And co sign I've said many times before Bulls made me appreciate K Dot because that voice... I couldn't understand what he was saying.

Dre and them are truly nit like us because it took years for me to get it.

Cole too. He was boring as f**k for years but it was the Hov co sign that forced me to stick with him.