What unpopular opinions do you have? Hip-Hop/Rap edition

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Considering the state of music today, I’m going to have to disagree with this. However, I understand completely where you are coming from. But society have lowered its standards.

I have conflicted my dislike for something as being wack. I already have an “anti-popular” attitude so I dismiss a lot of shit off gate.

But I can’t co-sign mumble rap as great because it’s popular today.

In this thread I can’t recall a post about the state of music today. It’s all about past music and it's legends and how they’re overrated.

And yes, there will always be millions and hundreds of millions of people are fans of something that some will deem as wack.

And will actually be wack to us, but that's not the case with the rappers in this thread.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
There should be no debating or feeling caught in this thread it's an unpopular opinions thread for a reason and if an opinion is agreeable then, what's the point?

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
In this thread I can’t recall a post about the state of music today. It’s all about past music and it's legends and how they’re overrated.

And yes, there will always be millions and hundreds of millions of people are fans of something that some will deem as wack.

And will actually be wack to us, but that's not the case with the rappers in this thread.

There was a few contemporary rapper mentioned in here. But that’s besides the point.

I’m just not a fan of using popularity as a measuring stick of greatness.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There should be no debating or feeling caught in this thread it's an unpopular opinions thread for a reason and if an opinion is agreeable then, what's the point?

If there's no debating or conversation then this thread would just be a bulletin board.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There was a few contemporary rapper mentioned in here. But that’s besides the point.

I’m just not a fan of using popularity as a measuring stick of greatness.

I didn't say measuring greatness, I said saying it's wack and overrated.

If hundreds of millions of people praise Tupac and his music and one person thinks it sucks and is overrated.

Does it really suck and is overrated or does that person just not like his music?

hmmm-thinking.gif

And I must've missed the posts about contemporary rappers since putting people through on ignore! :roflmao:

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

If hundreds of millions of people praise Tupac and his music and one person thinks it sucks and is overrated.

Does it really suck and is overrated or does that person just not like his music?

hmmm-thinking.gif

And I must've missed the posts about contemporary rappers since putting people through on ignore! :roflmao:

To answer your question. I don’t know.

And I mean that with sincere honesty.

Millions of people praising something doesn’t make it a thing, imo. For example, I think “The Black Panther” was a mediocre and wack movie, but the overwhelming majority of people doesn’t think so. Certainly, my opinion would matter less against millions. But in my mind, I’m certain about what I saw.

So I really don’t have answer to your question without getting all technical, extra, and comparing apples to oranges. Lol.

And yeah, your ignore feature may have caused you to miss some comments.

Last edited:

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good answer, and "Thank you!"
Many people have speculated if Tupac had lived longer that he might have had a very successful film career.

Many rappers, both male and female have made the transition of either doing television or film. I would not be surprised if you look up one day and see Cardi B. being offered film roles.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Good answer, and "Thank you!"
Many people have speculated if Tupac had lived longer that he might have had a very successful film career.

Many rappers, both male and female have made the transition of either doing television or film. I would not be surprised if you look up one day and see Cardi B. being offered film roles.

yeah, Tupac and DMX both had up and coming acting careers. It would have been cool to see how Pac evolved, because he was typecasted his first few roles, but gradually started moving away from hood roles.

The 90s saw a crazy influx of rappers turning actors. Hell, today many of them are known as actors first because that’s all the new generations saw from them.

If a person was born after 2000, then their perception of Ice Cube is way different than ours. Lol.

Yeah, Cardi and similar artist will be Tubi famous, but I doubt they get blockbuster movies chances. But, we’ll see. Not much surprises me now of days.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Millions of people praising something doesn’t make it a thing, imo. For example, I think “The Black Panther” was a mediocre and wack movie, but the overwhelming majority of people doesn’t think so. Certainly, my opinion would matter less against millions. But in my mind, I’m certain about what I saw.

So I really don’t have answer to your question without getting all technical, extra, and comparing apples to oranges. Lol.

So after watching Black Panther everyone was happy and praising it and you left mad like
the-rock-angry.gif

:lol:

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Snoop Dogg’s persona >>> rapping ability

After his classic first album, this man has been getting away with purely being a cool OG.
Which further makes the claimes that he didn't write most of his stuff from his first album and this could be said for Warren G hasn't sounded the same since his first album.Deathrow,DPG,Warren G,Nate could of been the Beatles of rap if they just would of kept it together but after Dre left.

-Swiss Beats is overrated as a producer
-The rap group and most of them midwest rappers like Do or Die,Cruicual conflict,Twista,BoneThugs and Harmony are lyrically trash cause I can't understand a damn thing they say until they start to come to the end of a bar or go into the hook.
-Flava Flav is the best hypeman ever cause after all of what Chuck be saying pro-black,we need that nigga to do his karate kick and be buck-wild.
-Rza did magic for the Wu to make all of those dudes flow together so smoothly,it's nothing but magic.
-Memphis Bleek is an ok rapper but I could never listen to an whole album of his rapping but him featuring on an album great he does his thing but listening to just him,track after track HELL NOOOOO.
-Jim Jones is low key the king of NYC,he keeps getting better and he won't stop dropping decent records and the rest of the Dipset musically is over with.
-The rap battling has lost it's steam because their trying to make it bigger than what's needed and it's not pay-per-view worthy and a lot of them guys need to get jobs or do something else cause outside of battling THEIR MUSIC IS TRASH.
-I like Notorious Big's first album over his second album
-NJ rap is basically the step-child of NYC,ain't much of a difference
-I can't really listen to female rappers unless it's on the radio and the only female Mc's album I've owned was Lil Kims first album and that's it.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

You not the only person who felt that way about the movie

It’s still

Last dragon >>>>> black Panther for me

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So after watching Black Panther everyone was happy and praising it and you left mad like
the-rock-angry.gif

-I can't really listen to female rappers unless it's on the radio and the only female Mc's album I've owned was Lil Kims first album and that's it.

:lol: @ NJ rap the step-child of NYC rap.

Yeah, female rappers are tough to listen to, but I was bumping Nikki D last night, and she was pretty good. She was a hard sell with Queen and Moni Love rocking the scenes. You know hip-hop can't simultaneously have more than one or two black female rappers.

You not the only person who felt that way about the movie

It’s still

Last dragon >>>>> black Panther for me

Without question.

Meteor Man >>> Black Panther for me

But I am biased. Production-wise Meteor Man isn't close, but Blank Panther will age the same way Meteor Man did.

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
Gucci Mane sucks. I can respect his contributions in trap music, but thats pretty much it.

If Smoothe the Hustler didnt have an early retirement, he would be in the same conversations as Nas and Jay, and possibly the King of Ny.

NWA sucked, they all had great solo albums though (even MC Ren's solo).

The message by Melle Mel is the most significant song in Hip Hop history.

Luke/2 Live crew the most impactful hip hop group of all time. (first group to sell merch/records independently on tours, Parental advisory sticker conflict, etc.)

KRS One fell off after Criminal Minded.

Mase's Harlem World was a classic album and a blueprint for NY rappers (early 50, early Fabolous, etc...)

"No Vaseline" is the greatest diss record in Hip Hop history.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Gucci Mane sucks. I can respect his contributions in trap music, but thats pretty much it.

If Smoothe the Hustler didnt have an early retirement, he would be in the same conversations as Nas and Jay, and possibly the King of Ny.

NWA sucked, they all had great solo albums though (even MC Ren's solo).

The message by Melle Mel is the most significant song in Hip Hop history.

Luke/2 Live crew the most impactful hip hop group of all time. (first group to sell merch/records independently on tours, Parental advisory sticker conflict, etc.)

KRS One fell off after Criminal Minded.

Mase's Harlem World was a classic album and a blueprint for NY rappers (early 50, early Fabolous, etc...)

"No Vaseline" is the greatest diss record in Hip Hop history.

By Any Means Necessary >> Criminal Minded

also

Hip Hop wouldve been just fine without Luke and 2LC

unpopular opinions

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All double disc hip-hop albums should have been one disc with those filler tracks removed.

OutKast was wack after Aquemini.

Jay-z got lucky DMX was a crackhead and poor businessman.

I wasn’t a fan of southern rap after 1999, especially all those ATL artist.

I don’t know what the fuck DJ Screw had y’all Texas and midwestern kats on but it explains a lot.

Biggie got the GAYEST line in hip-hop.

Ice Cube >>> Tupac

There is not a single rapper ever out of Florida I take seriously.

Missy Elliot >>> Lauren Hill

Juvenile is the best rapper out of NO.

Gangsta Boo is a highly underrated female rapper.

I got more…
I agree with outkast

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

hmmm-thinking.gif

What unpopular opinions do you have? Hip-Hop/Rap edition​

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Which further makes the claimes that he didn't write most of his stuff from his first album and this could be said for Warren G hasn't sounded the same since his first album.Deathrow,DPG,Warren G,Nate could of been the Beatles of rap if they just would of kept it together but after Dre left.

-Swiss Beats is overrated as a producer
-The rap group and most of them midwest rappers like Do or Die,Cruicual conflict,Twista,BoneThugs and Harmony are lyrically trash cause I can't understand a damn thing they say until they start to come to the end of a bar or go into the hook.
-Flava Flav is the best hypeman ever cause after all of what Chuck be saying pro-black,we need that nigga to do his karate kick and be buck-wild.
-Rza did magic for the Wu to make all of those dudes flow together so smoothly,it's nothing but magic.
-Memphis Bleek is an ok rapper but I could never listen to an whole album of his rapping but him featuring on an album great he does his thing but listening to just him,track after track HELL NOOOOO.
-Jim Jones is low key the king of NYC,he keeps getting better and he won't stop dropping decent records and the rest of the Dipset musically is over with.
-The rap battling has lost it's steam because their trying to make it bigger than what's needed and it's not pay-per-view worthy and a lot of them guys need to get jobs or do something else cause outside of battling THEIR MUSIC IS TRASH.
-I like Notorious Big's first album over his second album

Swizz is way overrated. Listening to most of his beats now,just sounds like a bunch of noise thrown together.
Money cash hoes was ass… yea i said it

As for female rappers

cnc

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
- How Noreaga carried the water on ‘The War Report’ is legendary. Capone was locked up and barely contributed. NORE basically created a classic album on his own.

- Big Tigga was fuckin wack.

-Common’s only two good album were Can I Borrow a Dollar and One Day It’ll All Make Sense. That said, “The Bitch in Yoo” is maybe the greatest diss song every.

- Mase was never good.

- Cappadonna was a better MC than U-God and should’ve replaced him in the WTC.

- Swizz Beatz, in his golden era, sucked. Style was redundant and repetitive. Made him rich though, so wtf do I know……

- Trina is extremely underrated and was a more talented MC than most of the women, including Lil Kim, of her era.

- Ludacris is underrated as fuck.

- Straight from the DEC by Ghetto Mafia was a great album to listen to while high.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
- How Noreaga carried the water on ‘The War Report’ is legendary. Capone was locked up and barely contributed. NORE basically created a classic album on his own.

- Big Tigga was fuckin wack.

-Common’s only two good album were Can I Borrow a Dollar and One Day It’ll All Make Sense. That said, “The Bitch in Yoo” is maybe the greatest diss song every.

- Mase was never good.

- Cappadonna was a better MC than U-God and should’ve replaced him in the WTC.

- Swizz Beatz, in his golden era, sucked. Style was redundant and repetitive. Made him rich though, so wtf do I know……

- Trina is extremely underrated and was a more talented MC than most of the women, including Lil Kim, of her era.

- Ludacris is underrated as fuck.

- Straight from the DEC by Ghetto Mafia was a great album to listen to while high.
I think super thug was a gift and a curse for N.O.
After that evert album had a lead single prooeuced by pharell that followed the super thug model . They pushed the hell out the first single and let the rest of the album fizzle .

2nd solo album “oh no” produced by pharell…. Nothing after that

3rd album “nothing” produced by pharell… nothing after that

Lyrics got auper basic as well.

Nore was rappin forreal on war report. One of my top 5 fav albums

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

200w.gif

this thread has been a bane on my existence since it was created

damn op to hell

I lost my mom recently and honestly the responses in here might actually hurt just as much.

and thanks OP for ruining my birthday week.